DjangoBooks.com

Sweet Tchavolo Minor Swing Lick

edited November 2008 in Licks and Patterns Posts: 67
Hi I've got a nice lick here from the end of the intro on Tchavolo's version of minor swing from (I think) the Memories of Django album where everyone else drops out and he snaps out this.

Starts on the 2nd beat of the 7th bar (E7) the second time he plays the intro before launching into the first chorus. Would anyone who knows a bit more than me about theory please be able to comment on what's going on here in terms of intervals etc? Thanks, Gray

(Tr )(T ) (T ) (T )
-6-7-6-------------;------------12--10---------
--------9-6---------;--------------------
------------7--------;-----------------
--------------9-6----;-------------------
------------------8---;-7-8-7---------------
----------------------;--------0--------

Comments

The 1st 3 notes in the second bar are a triplet too by the way, and the bottom e string is let ring
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    edited November 2008 Posts: 1,379
    I think he plays it like this, with regard to the picking /articulation, and he plays Bb not B on the fourth string:
    D=Dowstrokes, U=Upstrokes, H=hammer on, P=pull off, Harm =harmonic

-D-H-U-D-U-D-D-U-D-U-H-P-D-D
    -6-7-6-----------------------------12 (Harm)--
    ----------9-6------------------------------------
    ----------------7---------------------------------
    -------------------[b]8[/b]-6--------------------
    ------------------------8-7-8-7------------------
    -----------------------------------0---------------
    He's playing with this Bb7 shape:
    -6-------------------------------
    -----9-6-------------------------
    -----------7---------------------
    --------------8-6----------------
    --------------------8------------
    ---------------------------------
    Theory:
    Bb is the b5 of E: tritone substitute. Bb7=Bb D F Ab(G#) in relation to E thats b5, b7, b9, 3.
    So that's why it works, it produces an E7 b5 b9.
    That b5 is sometimes called an augmented (or raised) 11th.
    The b9 is very often resolved down a half step into the root of the V chord (or the 5 of the I chord).

Aside from that arpeggio shape, in this lick Angelo uses the b9 of Bb (B note) for color in the beginning and leads back into E on the last notes (trill) adding that killer open low E with the high E harmonic.
    Remember that you can always play off the b5 of a dominant chord to create an outside sound, works great if you mix it or resolve it to the original 7th chord as on this lick.

Great lick! Thanks!
    Thanks so much that's really really helpful! Glad you liked it. -Gray
    Cool!
    Are you sure that isn't Angelo??
    ...before I only looked for that lick but I just took a listen to the whole solo and I'm thinking that's Angelo and not Tchavolo... hmmm
    Could well be actually, I'm not sure, I didn't actually know Angelo played on that to be honest, I haven't listened to him very much so I don't recognise his style. I just assumed it was Tchavolo from the attack, but I could very well be wrong.
  • djangologydjangology Portland, OregonModerator
    that lick looks a lot like the Rhythm Futur lick. if you like that lick I would recommend learning to play the song Rhythm Futur.

p.s. it is also covered on Dennis Changs DVD#2.
  • spirospiro Zagreb, CroatiaNew
    hi people, im new here.... just wanted to say its Angelo for sure, thing Tchavolo didnt play Minor swing on that album...
  • fraterfrater Prodigy
    Angelo, Angelo...
    Yes I'm sure it's Angelo, you can tell especially if you compare it to the last solo before the bass, typical Debarre licks and it has to be the same player that starts, quite a few of the same ideas.

Now I guess we need to edit this whole thread...
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    the other guitarist in that tune is my buddy tchiquito lambert.. great player in his own right... very melodic... he s got a nice operatic voice too!!

here's a picture of me and him... on the right is tchavolo hassan who's the rhythm player in that cd... and seems to be angelo's steady rhythm guitarist now