DjangoBooks.com

Flech D'or

BonesBones Moderator
edited October 2008 in Repertoire Posts: 3,319
Does anyone have a take on what changes to use over solos on this one for the B section?

thanks

Comments

• BonesBones Moderator
    shameless bump
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    Are you just looking for the changes? You can find some basic ones here. We usually use something like this:

E9b5/// E9b5/// E9b5/// rest/G9/F#9/F9*
    E9b5/// E9b5/// E9b5/// rest/G/G/rest
    E9b5/// E9b5/// E9b5/// rest/G9/F#9/F9*
    E9b5/// E9b5/// F#9/// F#9 F#9/Db C7+5 F#9

*beneath solos I'll often play a simplified line like this:
    |E9b5///| |E9b5///| |E9b5///| |G9/G9/F#9/F#9|

E9b5:
    --6-
    --7-
    --7-
    --6-
    ---
    ---

I've included an outtake below that more or less follows the above to give you an idea of what I'm talking about...

hope that helps,
    Jack.
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Thanks Jack.

I'll check it out. I am trying to figure out what the rhythm section is doing behind Djangos solos.

BTW, do you know what is the rhythm section on the Django recording and who is playing on the clip that you posted?
    This is the info for Django's 1952 recording:

Fleche d'Or, 30/1/52, P 1180 ,"DRG 8473,Musidisc 403222"," - Paris - Django Reinhardt (elg), Roger Guerin (tpt), Hubert Fol (as), Raymond Fol (p), Barney Spieler (b), Pierre Lemarchand (d)"

Django does some seriously modern playing on that track! Is this the one you're listening to? I believe he only recorded it that once.

That's me on the posted clip. I think I learned it by listening to Angelo's version on Impromptu--at least then you'll have guitars to work with.

best,
    Jack.
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Yes, that's the version. I was wondering if there was any other guitar in there but I didn't hear any so that's why I was curious. Djangos chords on the head in (B part, in the background) are really cool and kind of distorted. Pretty awesome. Does anyone have any idea what inversions he's playing. I really think he was heading in a really modern direction and must have been influenced by the be-boppers at this point in his career.

Nice recording, Jack. Did you lay down both tracks or is there someone else on it?

Thanks
    No, I'm just playing rhythm...it's an outtake from the sessions for our new CD. You can hear more at swingcaravan.com if you're interested...

best,
    Jack.
  • BonesBones Moderator
    That's some solid, swinging rhythm Jack!