DjangoBooks.com

Stochelo Rosenberg tries a 1947 Selmer Guitar

BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
edited June 2008 in Welcome Posts: 1,379

Amazing!! What a great player!!

As a note, there's no zero fret on that guitar.

Comments

• fraterfrater Prodigy
    I already stated this but I'm going to repeat it: Stochelo is in TOP FORM.
    As for the Selmer... from what I understand, we're listening to an instrument that presently hasn't still been restored professionally... and even so, listen to the perfect intonation and the gorgeous tone! The Devil made these guitars... (where do I have to sign with my blood to get one? :) )
  • V-dubV-dub San Francisco, CA✭✭✭✭
    "Great player" doesn't even begin to describe this!

It's mind blowing how he can just come up with that amazing bit of improvisation and execute it perfectly without warming up. I honestly don't think Stochelo could sound bad if he tried.
  • Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
    I've heard it said that the difference between gypsies and all other guitar players is that they play with deadly intensity every time they pick up a guitar. I don't know if that's true or not, but this is a great example of a guy demonstrating not only complete mastery of the instrument and technique - but showing the intensity of a gypsy. If I wasn't so verbose, I'd be speechless.
    You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.
  • WowBobWowWowBobWow Another Time & SpaceNew
    Thanks for the post! what an amazing clip. Beautiful playing by a living legend
  • fraterfrater Prodigy
    More from the same guitar...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcyoDkTiGEE
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    [quote="V-dub"]"Great player" doesn't even begin to describe this!

It's mind blowing how he can just come up with that amazing bit of improvisation and execute it perfectly without warming up. I honestly don't think Stochelo could sound bad if he tried.[/quote]

I believe that is an excerpt from his solo piece [i]Listen[/i]...it's on this CD:

So it's not really improvised. In general, Stochelo doesn't really improvise much. He tends to play precomposed solos.

'm
  • StringswingerStringswinger Santa Cruz and San Francisco, CA✭✭✭✭ 1993 Dupont MD-20, Shelley Park Encore
    Michael,

I believe that to play as fast and as clean as Stochelo does, one would HAVE to play pre composed (and worked out) lines.

There has been only one guy who could improvise incredible music on a Selmer style guitar. His name was Django. We all (Stochelo included) stand on his shoulders and walk in his shadow.

Cheers,

Marc

www.hotclubpacific.com
    "When the chord changes, you should change" Joe Pass
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Django also relied heavily on pre-composed patterns. Although, I don't think he worked out entire solos like Stochelo does. But Django played the same patterns over, and over, and over for 20 years.

'm
  • StringswingerStringswinger Santa Cruz and San Francisco, CA✭✭✭✭ 1993 Dupont MD-20, Shelley Park Encore
    We all (Django, Wes, Benson etc,) rely on "licks". They are musical words that we string together to make sentences and have a musical conversation.

Those players (Django, Bireli) who take huge chances during a solo sometimes fail, but more often create musical lines of pure genius (or is it luck?)

If I could play half as well as Stochelo, I'd be pretty happy playing it safe.
    "When the chord changes, you should change" Joe Pass
  • fraterfrater Prodigy
    Certainly even Django relied on pre-composed patterns, but they were his own. Not a little difference!

As for the song, you can hear Stochelo playing that intro in this "Acoustic Guitarist" lesson:

It seems Stochelo has a"self quoting" attitude too!