DjangoBooks.com

Rose Room - no rhythm section

Charlie AyersCharlie Ayers Salt Lake CityProdigy
edited April 2005 in CD, DVD, and Concert Reviews Posts: 287
I've recently received the new J. Rosenberg CD,and was surprised to find that it's a duo CD, with no rhythm player accompaniment.

I had looked forward to hearing him play in something other than a 2 guitar/bass setting, but this one, with no rhythm section at all, may be a little dissapointing.

Charlie

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    I've recently received the new J. Rosenberg CD,and was surprised to find that it's a duo CD, with no rhythm player accompaniment.

Personally, that's what I think is so cool about this CD. I really like duet recordings. Some of my favorite stuff of Django is the duets he did with Grappelli and others. It really frees up the guitar to do all sorts of things that normally would clash with the rhythm section. Especially when playing rhythm...people forget that star soloists like Django and Jimmy Rosenberg are also arguably the best rhythm players too. Jimmy really pushes it to the limit...all the rhythmic accents, harmonic variations, etc.

But maybe I'm werid....after all, I'm the guy who thought it would be a good idea to write out all of Django's solo pieces. Ha ha...

'm
  • Charlie AyersCharlie Ayers Salt Lake CityProdigy
    Hey Michael:

I'm hoping it grows on me. I was initially expecting something like the Angelo Debarre/Ludovic Bier CDs (driving la pompe and accordian/guitar solos) - hence my initial disappointment.

You're right about the format pushing Jimmy to the limit, and that's certainly something to hear!

Charlie
  • Tom ConwayTom Conway Maui, HawaiiNew
    I was initially surprised by the duo format but really like the CD. Stian is an incredibly inventive and melodic improvisor; a real joy to listen to. Jimmy also shines on all fronts both rhythmically and as a soloist. He plays that triplet line cliche at a superhuman speed several times on the disc (ex. 10.1 in Gypsy Picking book). All in all a great CD. These two are a powerful duo for sure.

Tom