DjangoBooks.com

Cordoba or Cigano for Newbie?

If I cheap out on my new gypsy guitar purchase, Should I go with a Cordoba or the Cigano? I really want a Jorgenson (oval hole) but I am new to the gypsy style and I am doubtful about my ability to develop the right hand technique. Many years of playing blues with a lazy and slow right hand and I don't know if I will have the dicipline to learn a new style.

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    I'd go with the Cigano....the Cordoba's are good for the $ but since the Ciganos became available it's hard for them to compete.

'm
  • valdaevaldae new orleansNew
    For the longest time I had been considering the Cordoba O – 5, until I began reading reviews about the Cigano oval hole. The remarks that impressed me most were mention of the neck angle and the arch to the top, construction elements I hadn’t considered with the Cordoba. Looking at it from that point of view the Cigano, even with upgrades, is a better value than the “Spanish Selmer”.
    "The mind is not a vessel to be filled but a fire to be kindled." - Plutarch
  • waldenjazzwaldenjazz Thoreau, NMNew
    The Cigano hands down. And buy it from Michael. you won't be disappointed.
  • valdaevaldae new orleansNew
    Mike, how are the necks on the Cigano, not too thin I hope.
    "The mind is not a vessel to be filled but a fire to be kindled." - Plutarch
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    They are very thin actually.....some people love it, others not. I'd personally prefer something a little thicker, but the Cigano necks were OK for me.

'm