DjangoBooks.com

Jimmy Rosenberg Documentary

Comments

• conradconrad Toronto, CanadaNew
    Wayne, I'm in Toronto and I caught the last half of it on TVO, too. Let us know how it's available to purchase or whatever. What I saw was quite interesting. I agree with your comments, and I would add that to me, he seems to be under a lot of pressures all the time. Everyone trying to help him may be very well meaning, but he seems to be under the influence of many people with high expecatations, not only the drugs. Perhaps not unusual given his young prodigy. It brings me to wonder what he really wants to do with his life.

Truly sensitive and impressive musician, though. I really enjoyed Andreas' and Jimmy's video of that ballad Jimmy sang. Thanks, Andreas.

Con
  • pdaiglepdaigle Montreal, QCNew
    V-dub wrote:
    pdaigle wrote:
    I have it as a 600MB divx file...not sure how to distribute it (or if I should distribute it at all....copyrights and stuff).

Anybody have ideas/opinions?

Oh, you tease.

Google video (not youtube) would probably be your best bet, but I hear you on the copyright issues. I would hate it if this in any way was harmful to the folks involved with this film.

Not teasing, just don't want to infringe on copyrights by distributing this....if anybody can convince me that there are no such problems then I will galdly put it online somewhere.
  • Josh HeggJosh Hegg Tacoma, WAModerator
    edited March 2007 Posts: 622
    It was public right? Meaning that things played on the Radio and TV are public. You can record a TV show and as long as you don't sell it or air it as your own then no law has been broken.(?) Now if you had to pay to see the original and you recorded it then it is not "public". It's been a while since I was in "art and law" classes but I think you can post the documentary for free with out breaking any laws.

Cheers,
    Josh
  • wayne nakamurawayne nakamura ✭✭✭✭
    Here's the response I got from TVO. Not sure if the show is for sale on the NPB site.

Dear Mr. Nakamura,

Thank you for writing to TVOntario.

Jimmy Rosenberg: The Father, the Son and the Talent was acquired for broadcast purposes only and was distributed by NPB Sales. For more information, visit: http://www.npbsales.com/?search=jimmy&a ... te=program

Regards,

Customer Relations
    Relations avec les clients
    TVOntario
    www.tvo.org
  • PhilPhil Portland, ORModerator Anastasio
    I saw the documentary and it's a very powerful, emotional piece about the young talented Jimmy, who had it all going for him and then lost it all, due to family breakdown and probably too high of expectations of him at such a young age: he didn't seem to have a 'normal' child-hood in that he spent most of his time on the music circuit with adults and less amongst other children. The documentary is actually quite short, about an hour. You certainly appreciate the brilliance of Jimmy who was blessed with an amazing talent as well as being blessed with having Stochelo as supporter and mentor. Very sadly, his life took a wrong turn with the imprisonment of his Father for 8 years, who was a major source of support and role model for Jimmy. This left Jimmy in a very vulnerable position and resulted in his decline into drugs, violence, his own 6 month prison term and the need for psychiatric help. Jimmy puts on a very brave face and is very open during the documentary and is very candid and realistic as to the twists and turns, rights and wrongs of his life and the huge role that music and family plays for him and appears very much aware that he needs help. It was compelling viewing, but tough to watch the demise of one of our Gypsy Jazz legends. With the release of his Father from prison this gave hope that the gap in both their lives, due to his Father's absence, could start to mend and that Jimmy could receive the help and support that he is seeking. I was not sure what year the documentary ended, so it's not entirely clear as to where Jimmy is at today and another post indicated that he was recently playing in Amsterdam, which can only be good news. This was hard to watch, but even harder for Jimmy and certainly shed light on the reason this great talent has been missing from the recent Gypsy Jazz scene. I hope Jimmy and his family continue to do well and wish them all the best. ~ Cheers, Phil

----------
    JIMMY ROSENBERG: THE FATHER, THE SON & THE TALENT
    [url=http://www.idfa.nl/dfs_catalogueitem.asp?filmid=29082]http://www.idfa.nl/dfs_catalogueitem.asp?filmid=29082[/url]
  • KoratKorat NetherlandsNew
    If somebody is still interested: you can watch the entire documentory on the Internet. It was broadcasted on Dutch TV and can be viewed on the site:
    http://www.nederland1.nl/uitzendinggemi ... d-doc/1574
    In Dutch only, however. No subtitles.
    No fee required to watch it, as this TV channel is sponsored by the Dutch government.
    If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.
  • djangologydjangology Portland, OregonModerator
    i think this will work:
    http://tinyurl.com/yprrbe

I watched the whole video. I could only understand about 10% of it, but it was still really interesting to see.
  • ArnsteinArnstein New
    Didn't someone have it in a 600mb file? Can that person upload it to Google videos? If so, then we can use a website(don't remember the name, but will find out) to 'rip' it from the site and get it on our harddisks.
  • LarryLarry FinlandNew
    Also would love to see this with subtitles. I think Jimmy's the most inspiring guitarist at least for me.

Sad to see how life sometimes goes

Edit. I Also try to google the document for about an hour, but didn't even find a place to buy it.
  • pdaiglepdaigle Montreal, QCNew
    edited December 2007 Posts: 233
    EDIT: I MADE AN ERROR, IT WILL *NOT* BE PART OF THE DVD BELOW...SORRY ABOUT THAT. THERE ARE LINKS ON THE PAGE WHERE YOU CAN BUY THE DUTCH VERSION OF THE DOCUMENTARY ON DVD BUT I DO NOT KNOW IF THOSE HAVE THE ENGLISH SUBTITLES.

It will be on the following DVD (not sure about subtitles, though):

http://jimmyrosenberg.nl/page2EN.html

I will try to upload the file later today.