DjangoBooks.com

Tchan Tchou Vidal Songs

WowBobWowWowBobWow Another Time & SpaceNew
edited October 2007 in Repertoire Posts: 221
Hi All ~

Just casting my net out into the g-jazz void and wishing for some Tchan Tchou transcriptions to pop up. Does anybody have any or know where to find some?

Specifically tunes from the "La Gitane" Gypsy Legends album:

Tant Pis Ou Tant Mieux,
Bye Bye Blue,
Everybody Love Somebody
Dolores

In case you haven't heard the album I recommend it highly (it's such a pleasure to find an album that is perfect from start to finish)

Thanks in advance and best,

Comments

• Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    It is an oustanding CD!!! And the tone of his guitar is exactly what I would like to have. Really rich but uniquly gypsy. I bought a bunch of CD's at Django in June (as usual...). Tchan Tchou's and Lollo Meier's are the two I play the most by far.

I don't know of any transcriptions, but I'd love to find some as well. Barry Warhaftig hhas been doing some lately. Maybe I can talk him into doing a couple of these.
    I've never been a guitar player, but I've played one on stage.
  • ElliotElliot Madison, WisconsinNew
    Yeah, in a better world they'd package the Tchan Tchou, the Baro and the Matelo CDs together and call it Twilight of the Gypsy Gods or something.

If you guys wanted to do a transcription exchange I'd be up for it, although out of the four I'd probably pick Dolores. I only do tabs, which I divide line by line into riffs if I can, but they're easy to work with, and the fingerings are usually pretty good.
  • djangologydjangology Portland, OregonModerator
    I might be wrong but I believe Romanes transcription is actually a transcription of Tchan-Tchou's "la Gitane".
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Transcriptions of Dolores and La Gitane appear in this book and playalong CD:

<**** valign="top" width="100%">

<**** valign="top">
    Romane

Impair et valse

Transcriptions of classic Gypsy jazz and Musette waltzes. Written by
    the great French guitarist Romane. Note/Tab 100 p.

Price: $30.00
    </****>
    <**** valign="top" width="5">

</****>
    <**** valign="top" width="100">imageImpair et valse" border="0" width="100">

</****>

</****>

<**** valign="top" width="100%">

<**** valign="top">
    Romane

Impair & Valse

Price: $17.00
    </****>
    <**** valign="top" width="5">

</****>
    <**** valign="top" width="100">imageImpair & Valse" border="0" width="100">

</****>

</****>

• WowBobWowWowBobWow Another Time &amp; SpaceNew
    Thanks guys ~ and thanks Michael--

Yes, I've got the Impair Valse book and will surely give it a look for the Dolores/La Gitane tune when I get home.

In regards to the others, I found a chord chart for Bye Bye Blue/s here:

http://banjo.officeboya.jp/django/chordbook.html?40

I'll get to transcribing the tune and the others someday soon. I'll share my versions if and when I can do them.

I agree & hope someone gets a book going of some of these legendary recordings from the earlier "Gypsy Legends." I think there is a big enough market of g-jazzers to cough up some dough for it.

Thanks again and yes, Tchan-Tchou is the man!

Best,
  • Charlie AyersCharlie Ayers Salt Lake CityProdigy
    Is Tchan Tchou playing acoustically on that CD? I've heard a recording with a Stimer......

Charlie
  • WowBobWowWowBobWow Another Time &amp; SpaceNew
    Hi `

I believe Tchan-Tchou is acoustic on the album collection. I'm not quite sure what a stimer sounds like, but his guitar sounds pretty acoustic in my opinion.

As far as I can tell it seems the recordings are without a rhythm guitarist which somehow works great. If and when there is a rhythm guitarist it is very faint and, aside from a chordal strum, definitely a back-seat-minimal sound. It sounds like a trio of Tchan-Tchou, a drummer, and bassist (all of them working amazingly together).

Does anyone know who the rhythm guitarist is? Sounds like they may be electric when they surface above the drummer. As I bought the album on itunes I don't have any liner notes...

---------
    In regards to some of the tunes--I've hunted down some charts for "Bye Bye Blues," and "Everybody Loves Somebody" which I'll try and use as blueprints to make a fakebook style lead sheet. (On the album they were labeled as Bye Bye Blue, and Everybody Love Somebody-- you've just gotta love jazz typos, there's unfortunately no choice)

Any help with a lead to the tune "Tant Pis Ou Tant Mieux" is greatly appreciated

Best,
  • scotscot Virtuoso
    I don't think you'll find a chart for "Tant pis..." - it's an original tune. But it's not that difficult once you figure out how Tchan-tchou plays.

He usually played an electric guitar on his recordings and his rhythm player was named Francois Codaccioni. On the original record, "Everybody Loves Somebody" was called "Tout le Monde, Toujours". "My Way" was known as "Comme d'Habitude".

He was certainly was one of the best guitarists ever in this style. No matter what guitar he played, he always got about the same sound. I've attached a tune from a video I have of Tchan-Tchou and Moreno - I don't know what the tune is called, but in this case he's playing a nylon-string string guitar of some kind. Amazingly his sound is almost exactly the same as when he plays electric steel-string.

Moreno was Tchan-Tchou's student and when he wants to, he plays so much like him it's hard to believe.
  • Tom LandmanTom Landman Brooklyn, NY✭✭✭✭ 6 strings
    scot wrote:
    I've attached a tune from a video I have of Tchan-Tchou and Moreno - I don't know what the tune is called, but in this case he's playing a nylon-string string guitar of some kind. Amazingly his sound is almost exactly the same as when he plays electric steel-string.

Moreno was Tchan-Tchou's student and when he wants to, he plays so much like him it's hard to believe.

Hi Scot,
    Thanks for posting that. What is the name of that rhythm played by Moreno? Does he play that rhythm on other tracks in the video?
    - Tom
  • Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    In the liner notes of the "La Gitane" CD, the author speculates that Tchan Tchou is playing a Joseph di Mauro the elder, but in another post, Mike Horowitz said he was told that it was a Favino. Either way, it's a great sounding guitar, although I suppose Tchan Tchou himself had something to do with that. :D
    I've never been a guitar player, but I've played one on stage.