DjangoBooks.com

Arpeggios and the left hand

ChadChad Bellingham, WashingtonNew
edited March 2005 in Technique Posts: 45
OK, here I am, learning my arpeggios. If I am doing an Am arpeggio on the 5th fret, am I planting my hand into that form, or am I trying to play and finger each note individually?
Any input would be appreciated...
Wholly Man

Comments

• dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    it depends on the sound you want to get but in general, you don't want the notes to bleed into eachother, the 5th fret Am shape involves some barring, so you have to "roll" from one fret to the other with one finger
  • ChadChad Bellingham, WashingtonNew
    Cool, thats kind of what I figured, but I wasnt sure. Thanks for the clarification Dennis.
    Chad
    Wholly Man
  • V-dubV-dub San Francisco, CA✭✭✭✭
    An old guitar teacher showed be this and I don't know if its considered bad technique. I haven't looked for examples of gypsies doing it, but it seems to help me out:

In situations where you find yourself having to bar 2 strings with your ring finger, you can sometimes get some more dexterity by substituting you middle finger on the higher (on the freboard) string and using your ring finger on the next string. Its helpful when you have to do a quick downward sweep and you barring finger gets in the way of the next string.

for example: (fingering below)

---------------5--------------- <g
    -----------7-------7----------- <d
    -------7--------------7-------- <a
    5--8---------------------8--5- <e

1 3 2 3 1 3 2 3 1
  • CynekulCynekul New
    I don't think there's any such thing as bad technique with guitar, its more or less whatever works for you lol.

~Paul V.