DjangoBooks.com

6 weeks with the Cigano gj 10

bigericbigeric Las Vegas Nevada USANew
I have been playing my gj 10 for 6 weeks or so. I have had the frets leveled by my local repairman. Big difference. I also strung her up with the argentine strings. There is still some reverb. Not too bad. I will install some leather under the tailpiece soon. The guitar has opened up nicely. Every time I pick it up I am am amazed at the sound and playability. It is a very live sounding box. It plays in tune. Quite nice guitar. I was thinking of upgrading but at the moment I am happy. It plays very easy. They really hit a homerum with this guitar. I have played some other Gitanes but this seems to really fill the bill for me. The neck is thin but it plays so nice. Amazing instrument at this price!

Comments

• Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    John Salmon, aka "sockeye" brought his GJ-15 to our jam session this weekend and I really liked it. The neck was chunkier and more rounded than a D-500, which I liked, and the sound was really terrific for the price. Frankly, I like it better than a D-500. The only thing I didn't like was that 9th fret marker.

I'd love to try a GJ-10 sometime. They seem like they'd be a great travelling guitar. Does the GJ-10 have a 9th or 10th fret marker?
    I've never been a guitar player, but I've played one on stage.
  • djangologydjangology Portland, OregonModerator
    the cj-10 has a 10th fret marker. probably, any repairman could move the dot. they didn't install a traditional piece of leather in the tailpiece on the cj-10 ?

hmm... there are 2 custom options right there that would be worth paying for...

the cj-10 is a PERFECT guitar for a DuPont bigtone. i would think about doing that also...

the oval Cigano is awesome but I wont buy one because my Shelley Park is just fine for me...
  • dburdickdburdick New
    After playing my CJ-10 for the past few weeks I have to agree. An amazing guitar with great tone and playability for the price. There is some buzz with the "stock" action (about 2.5mm on mine), and I do need to put some leather under the tailpiece to dampen the "overtones". Will any piece of leather do, or is there special Gypsy Leather?? ;)
  • bigericbigeric Las Vegas Nevada USANew
    My gj 10 had some buzz on the g string. It went away after the frets were filed and string change.
    I am thinking of a pickup. Maybe a benedetto at the end of the fingerboard. There seems to be room. At the moment I am not really concerned about getting a vintage tone from a contemporary guitar. I can see using this guitar for standards gigs.
    I will cut some leather for the tailpiece this week. I'll post my reviews again next week.