DjangoBooks.com

"Gypsy Caravan" the movie

badjazzbadjazz Maui, Hawaii USA✭✭✭ AJL
edited October 2007 in CD, DVD, and Concert Reviews Posts: 130
I noticed a listing for a movie called Gypsy Caravan. The reviews say that it is a documentary that follows five gypsy bands around. Has anybody seen it or know anything about it?

Comments

• brandoneonbrandoneon Alpes-de-Haute-Provence, France✭✭✭
    It's playing in my local college cinema this summer, unfortunately I have conflicting travel plans! :evil:
    Taraf de Haädouks and Fanfare Ciocarlia are incredible, so it should be a good flick.
    http://cinema.cornell.edu/Summer07/gypsycaravan.html
  • aceace Buffalo, NY✭✭✭✭
    I just learned of this movie on tuesday as well.
    My group was asked to perform at our local college after a screening of the movie. I watched the trailers, and it looks to be a truly exciting and candid film.
    check 'em out...
    http://www.gypsycaravanmovie.com/downloads_trailers.php
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
  • V-dubV-dub San Francisco, CA✭✭✭✭
    I saw this film early this year when it screened at the SF Indie Film Festival.

It's really terrific and it goes a long way in dispelling all the myths about gypsies. There are a lot of light hearted moments in the way the different groups interact with one another and to Americans.

The best part is that the filmmaker goes and visits each of the groups in their homes and you really get a feel for their day to day lives. These scenes are interspersed with the footage from the tour.

There are some really heart-wrenching and personal scenes Taraf... clearly the filmmaker had a strong bond with them

Nothing about gypsy jazz really, but people from any musical background will love it.

And Johnny Depp is in it! (not a joke)
  • AndoAndo South Bend, INModerator Gallato RS-39 Modèle Noir
    It's showing at the Browning Cinema on the Notre Dame campus (DeBartolo Center) on August 16-18. Showings at 7 and 10 pm.
  • chapchap ✭✭✭
  • richdaiglerichdaigle SLC,UT✭✭✭✭
    I gave it four stars even though it's focused on the Romany and our hero isn't even mentioned once...it's still a really good film and you should see it.