DjangoBooks.com

Bastille Day in Boston

SorefSoref Brookline, MA✭✭✭✭
edited July 2007 in North America Posts: 94
I know there's been some talk about those of us in the Boston area getting together and bolstering the community of our local GJ scene.
Here's a chance to do just that. Come down to Atwood's Tavern (189 cambridge st. Cambridge, MA) for a night of Swinging Jazz and good fun. The show starts at 10pm this saturday (jul. 14th).
Music will be provided by a very special incarnation of Sinti Rhythm.
The core band of guitars, bass, and clarinet, will be augmented by Saxophonist Andy Voelker, Gillian Delear on Drums (and possibly Washboard), and the Great John Mcgann on guitar.

Andy Voelker is a miraculous Saxophonist who's part of the Round Midnight ensemble that hosts the Matt Murphy's Thursday night Jazz Jam as well as a Resident artist at Atwood's Tavern.

Gillian Delear is a wonderful drummer who can be seen playing gigs all over Boston. Notably she plays as part of Boston's vintage songstress Miss Tess's Bon Ton Parade.

Lastly and certainly not least is the Maestro John Mcgann. John conducts the Berklee Django Ensemble, was one of the esteemed instructors at Andrew Lawrence's DIJ Camp Django, and is even a moderator on this forum! He has more credits to his name than I can put down here, for sure he is a great player... not to be missed.

Hopefully people will come down have a beer, talk Gypsy Jazz, and get a chance to meet more Djangophiles in the area!

Regards,
Jack

Comments

• robertsaundersrobertsaunders Brookline, MA✭✭✭✭ 2007 Gitane DB-255
    I'm there.

A minor correction on the address: it's 877 Cambridge St., but you can just Google Atwood's Tavern in any case.

-Rob
    A good time was had by all who attended Sinti Rhythm's latest gig at Atwood's last Saturday, including several DiJ diehards. On the repertoire were some gypsy classics as well as American swing standards.

Onstage John McGann sat in for Lex and did a mighty fine job, as did Jack, clarinetist Andy Moore, tenor saxist Andy Voelker, and a rhythm section of bass and drums whose players' names I forget but who really cooked. Looking forward to next month's gig.

-Rob
  • SorefSoref Brookline, MA✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for saying so Rob. It was good to see you and the other local Djangologists who came down.

Thanks also for the edit in address I don't know where I got 189 from. :oops:

The bass and drums were provided by Matt Ambrose, and Gillian Delear, respectively. Two great players on the Boston scene.

If there are any bostonians on the forum who didn't make it this time, we play at Atwood's every second saturday of the month, so maybe we'll see you august 11th. :D
    I'll put the Aug 11 date on my calendar...it may be already there. Not named but sighted at Atwood's was Tim Weed, violinist extraordinaire. Hope to catch more of his good sounds soon, having heard what he could do at Django in June.

-Rob