DjangoBooks.com

New Guitars: Saga Cigano GJ-10 and GJ-15

Comments

• asd123321asd123321 ✭✭✭✭
    Does the GJ 10 sound the same as a 250 or how much different?

If they cut the wholesale price by $200 by putting in $40 cheaper materials, that would indicate the original is overpriced.
  • SargeSarge New
    Im just curious Michael, what are your shipping rates i.e for a cigano setup to Virginia?

if these Cigano's are that close to the Gitanes, then that would be a great alternative
  • bigericbigeric Las Vegas Nevada USANew
    I purchased the Cigano gj-10 before reading this thread. I was set to buy the Jorgensen but the Cigano played and sounded better to me. It really is a gem of a guitar for the money. I like the matte finish. To me it has a better voice. The frets were better too. The Jorgensen felt much more like a flatop guitar. It was really nice but I preferred the Cigano. Way less money as well.
  • sockeyesockeye Philadelphie sur SchuylkillNew
    I just got a Cigano GJ-15 (thanks Michael!). It arrived yesterday and while I haven't spent a lot of time with it yet, my initial impression is: WOW! Very impressive!

As far as looks go, it's not terribly remarkable. Though not bad-looking, it has a decal for a rosette, matte finish and inexpensive gold-tone tuners. But the sound! Wow. Saga may not sell any more Gitanes once word of these gets around. I was very impressed. The setup is great too. The bridge is fairly low, like on the Gitanes I've played, but the action is higher (around 3.5mm), due to a shallower neck angle. The bridge still has too much wood but I think they have switched from ebony to dyed rosewood -- it felt much lighter in weight than the Gitane bridges I remember, and sounded better too. I tried a Dupont #2 bridge and while the sound was improved, the action was much, much too high. I think I will try removing some wood from the underside of the Cigano bridge & see what that does. (It came with what appear to be silver-plated strings (Gitane brand, I suppose). The thin finish is plain-looking, but I think has a lot to do with the very good tone.

The only things I will probably do are to lighten the bridge as mentioned above, maybe put some leather under the tailpiece, and eventually change the tuners out for something a bit more precise -- probably Gotohs like the ones on the Jorgenson model.

All in all, an amazing guitar for Michael's price of $300 (!).

John
    I am posting an update on the cigano I purchased about 2 weeks ago. I just dropped it off at my luthier for a setup. I played the guitar so much that I actually got a blister on my 40 year old index finger callus. So my thoughts are as follows. The guitar I bought needs fret polishing and a bridge adjustment. The bridge is not radiused the fingerboard. The g string was buzzing when I lay into it. There is also a reverb overtone perhaps coming from the tailpiece. I would like to know about the leather under the tailpiece.
    I need a string recommendation as well. I like the 10 gauge feel. The guitar was strung with factory strings form Gitane.

Overall The guitar plays well and is fun to play. I have had a blast working my chops. I am curious as to what my next guitar will be. I will want to have a better quality instrument no doubt. I'll repost after the guitar returns from the setup.
    I picked up the GJ-10 from my repairman. He did a grind and polish on the frets and re cut the bridge to a better radius. The guitar out of the box needs a fret level or polish. The bridge is cut flat and needs to be adjusted.

All is good. The guitar is playing very well. I am amazed at how hard I can actually play the guitar. It's got a nice voice. The guitar plays easily up and down the neck. Its very nice for an inexpensive guitar. Again as I stated earlier I was set to buy the Jorgensen Model Gitane. I just liked this guitar better. The finish seems very thin. I am sure whatever finish is on there is polyurethane. For a first gypsy instrument so far so good. I have been an archtop player my whole life. Playing this Cigano is really a lot of fun. I like the scale. The tone. Now its back to the woodshed.
  • TroelsTroels Whidbey Island, WANew
    Looking at the GJ 10, do I need the Professional Gypsy Set Up if i get the
    high quality bridge and a full fret level?
    Does the Braze tailpiece add to the sound?

TIA
  • Josh HeggJosh Hegg Tacoma, WAModerator
    I suggest that if you need to choose either the set up or the fret level to go with the set up. Since you want a bridge made for it the set up is very important and the guitar will play it's best. Ideally if you can do both it will play and sound the best that it can.

The bridges that come on the Saga is just okay. The new one that comes on the GJ-10 is much better then the old style but still heavy and clunky. The custom bridge will open the tone up and give you better tone throughout the range of the guitar.

Great question.

Cheers,
    Josh
  • TroelsTroels Whidbey Island, WANew
    Thanks Josh!

What about the "Braze tailpiece" option, what does it do?