DjangoBooks.com

Arpeggio patterns - looking for a source

skiski Boston, USANew
edited July 2007 in Gypsy Jazz 101 Posts: 86
Hi All,

While I've been making good progress with my rhythm playing, I'm finding it extremely difficult to get comfortable with soloing in this style. The arpeggio approach is foreign to me as I've always been a pentatonic scale blues-rock kind of player.

Can you direct me to a good source for getting familiar 'visually' with arpeggio patterns on the fret board or, if I'm barking up the wrong tree, suggest something else to help me with lead playing?

Thanks,
ski

Comments

• CalebFSUCalebFSU Tallahassee, FLModerator Made in USA Dell Arte Hommage
    I would say Gypsy Picking and then Gypsy fire. Also the Astuches Le Guitare Manouche books are good. Stephane Wremble's book is also great.
    Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard.
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    I second that thought...
    Gypsy Picking then Gypsy Fire.
    Good luck!!!
  • Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    Stephane Wrembel's "Getting into Gypsy Jazz Guitar" lays the arpeggios out visually better than any other source I have found. There are nice visual representations of pretty much every arpeggio you'll need. I highly recommend it, and suggest that for what you want, it would be preferrable to "Gypsy Fire", which is oriented more towards licks.
    I've never been a guitar player, but I've played one on stage.
  • Joli GadjoJoli Gadjo Cardiff, UK✭✭✭✭ Derecho, Bumgarner - VSOP, AJL
    I agree with Michael. Wrembel's book is great because it shows you all the arpeggios you need to know in order to start soloing on them. Arpeggios are shown horizontally and vertically which are basic tools to use them and to connect them between themselves.
    I would also take a look at Yann's website : http://serendipity-band.com/index-en.html He did a great job combining pictures, tabs and audio files.. and it's always updated with some new stuff.
    - JG
  • ElliotElliot Madison, WisconsinNew
    The Daniel Givone book is very good as well in this regard and I prefer it to the Wrembel these days (I have both) because it has almost no diagrams and sticks to phrased patterns, but it is a personal call. I also happen to find Givone's legato lines particularly beautiful.
  • gitpickergitpicker Beijing/San Francisco✭✭✭✭ Gibson, Favino, Eastman
    You want arpeggios? Here's the jackpot my friend!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aS_IYe5JTZ4
    www.dougmartinguitar.com
    Live life and play music like it's your last day on earth. One day you'll be right- Russel Malone
  • skiski Boston, USANew
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

ski
  • ElliotElliot Madison, WisconsinNew
    gitpicker wrote:
    You want arpeggios? Here's the jackpot my friend!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aS_IYe5JTZ4
    Uhh.....Pentatonics don't count as arpeggios.
  • gitpickergitpicker Beijing/San Francisco✭✭✭✭ Gibson, Favino, Eastman
    Well, it was all in good humor anyway. On a more serious note, I second that the Wrembel book is a great resource.
    www.dougmartinguitar.com
    Live life and play music like it's your last day on earth. One day you'll be right- Russel Malone
  • RicardoRicardo Cornwall UKNew
    I can't rate this site highly enough

http://www.serendipity-band.com/misc/ma ... toc-en.htm

more arps than you can shake a stick at.
    Not now dear, I have a terrible Djangover.