New Redesigned Saga Gitane DG-320 SELMER STYLE JAZZ GUITAR

MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator

[b]After a long wait, the NEW redesigned DG-320 is HERE![/b]

Comments

• BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    What did they change?
    How does it compare to a D 500?
  • Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
    The top bracing changed a little in response to feedback given by knowledgeable customer who noticed that the bracing pattern was not optimal (not "wrong" but not "optimal" ... and no, it wasn't me who gave them that feedback) I liked this guitar before the change - I played Jorgenson's personal 320 that he'd been beating the snot out of for two months. I liked it - but I'll bet it's better now.

I think this shows the responsiveness of Saga. Bravo for them. They're the king of the budget Gypsy guitar. They can squeeze a nickel and make it sound like a dime!

-Bob
    You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Bad news guys.....turns out this new batch of DG-320s also had some serious flaws and has been sent back to China. :(

So we're back to waiting for this model....

'm
  • Dr. HallDr. Hall Green Bay, WisconsinNew
    This is weird. I own a DG-320, presumably one of the first batch. It sounds and plays just great. Why would Saga mess with a good thing, unless, of course, DG-320s everywhere are just waiting to fall apart because of some bracing issue. Are there any others out there with DG-320s who have had any problems with the guitar? I suppose it'll give me an excuse to buy a new guitar if this one craps out, but so far I love this guitar.
    -Stefan
    Dr. Hall wrote:
    Why would Saga mess with a good thing, unless, of course, DG-320s everywhere are just waiting to fall apart because of some bracing issue.

That's exactly it....the bracing is flawed. They sound fine...but are likely to have issues overtime, hence the recall on this model and the subsequent redesign.

You never know, they may hold up just fine. But there was definitely a serious bracing issue with that model.

'm
  • The LosThe Los San DiegoNew
    I ordered one of these about three months back and was told it should arrive in June... and then it was pushed back to this week (the bracing issue was mentioned as the culprit). Now I have just been informed the mini-Jorgensen is getting pushed back to who knows when. Apparently Saga only sent out two models. I'm on a waiting list (lucky number 13) and was told the two people fortunate enough to receive their 320s had been waiting since August of last year!

My question is this: Should I even bother waiting around for this guitar if the wait is potentially more than a year? I've played it quite a bit and love the sound and feel but seriously, if Saga's output is two guitars every eight months is it worth it? Or should I save up for the next three years and buy something like an AJL? OR does anyone have some insider info as to when the next shipment may come around?
    Ok...the new re redesigned DG-320s are here! Finally, this popular model is back and ready to ship right away!

• BohemianBohemian State of Jefferson✭✭✭✭
    Are you sure ? : )
    Yep...
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    What's the bridge like? Is is still that crappy, massive old Saga bridge, or did they finally listen to practically everybody and put a decent bridge on?
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles