DjangoBooks.com

D'Addario Single Gypsy Strings

Comments

• djadamdjadam Boulder, CONew
    Anyone try these yet?
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    I put them on both my guitars and was really impressed. Definitely a good alternative to Argies. Bright, supple, and last a long time.
    Thanks for the reply Michael. On the page for the D'Addario Silk & Steel strings, you mention that Stochelo uses them. I really like his tone and it got me to wondering - is there a such thing as a silvered S&S string? Do you happen to know which ones he uses?

Also, do you think you would ever sell S&S individual replacement strings?
    Stochelo, and many of the Dutch Gypsies use these:

I've also heard the Stochelo uses the D'Addario Silk and Steel, and even endorsed them at one point.

The GSL series is an updated version of the VO27s. It has a protective coating which makes them last longer:

All of these strings have silver plated copper windings.
    Again, thanks for clarifying, Michael. This leads me to another question...

With these silver coated strings (Argentines included), are the plain strings (B&E) also silver coated, or are they just plain steel?

I've eyeballed the Dell Arte and Argentine strings I have around and I'd guess that both of them are plain steel on the B&E strings. And the description on the V027 says "steel for the high notes", so I'm guessing they're plain steel as well.
    All unwound strings are just steel...any brand.

'm
    That's what I guessed, but it seems there is an exception. I was talking to a friend this morning about Silk and Steel strings and he told me he liked the Martin S&S and gave me a pack. I haven't put them on yet, but the unwound strings are "Silverplated Steel" according to the pack, while it lists the wound strings as "Slvrpltd Copper on Nylon & Steel".
  • just the bassplayerjust the bassplayer Huntington, NYNew
    I've fitted my Gitane JJ model with D'Addario 0.10s Gypsy Jazz strings, and I must say that I'm very impressed. The guitar really came alive. These are very loud strings with splendid tone. Through out the scale, and throughout set ,the strings they have a strong gypsy sound that is very consistent. All of the characteristics that we look for are here. They bark, they have a strong dry bass and the top two plain strings have the correct sound.
    They are the best sounding gypsy style strings that I've played, and they made my guitar sound great - better than many luthier made guitars that I've tried. It's particularly good to see that they are available at an affordable price.
    I have no affiliation with D'Addario. I just thought that I'd add to the conversation about them.
    Thanks for the feedback, Just the B! It's funny, I was so interested in these strings, but then I happened upon the silk and steel strings and I think I'm smitten. Their light tension is a nice match with my high action (about 4mm at 12th fret). I like the sound a lot too - the only drawback is that the low E and A strings have slightly less of the deep bass sound.

When I'm done with this set and run out of Argies, I might give the D'Addario strings a whirl, though right now I'm most interested in trying their silk and steels.