DjangoBooks.com

New bridge problems

:? I bought this bridge last year from ****, it looked to big for my Gitane so i never got round to using it. Today i had a bit of time to doodle with it so i filed off a fair big of the base and also had to file off some of the top too to make it usable but its still considerably higher than the stock Gitane bridge. This could be useful for the Stimer 48 i have coming in the post tomorrow as i was told that their may be a clearance issue with the last couple of frets.

Anyway could any of you guys with proper bridge set ups have a look at the photos I've taken if this looks about right? The strings are definitely higher but not in an uncomfortable way.
Currently-Gitane 250M
Previously-Gitane 255
Previously- Gitane D500

Comments

• BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    Maybe you took a bit too much from the feet?
    Look here:http://www.djangobooks.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1200
    The main thing is to fit the feet to the contour of the top.

The Stimer clearance issue has more to do with the fretboard thickness so changing your action won't do anything for that...
  • django'spooltalentdjango'spooltalent ✭✭✭✭
    Hey,

First of all, I believe you have the bridge backwards. The low E (thickest string) should have the highest action, it looks like the opposite in the picture.

In addition, make sure that the bridge's feet (the bottom of the bridge that is making contact with the guitar) is flush to the top as well, otherwise you might crack the top with uneven pressure. You can check to see there aren't any gaps as well by shining a light between the bridge feet and top to see if there are any gaps.

Lastly, you may have taken too much from the top, you may want to angle the top more so that the strings sit or make contact on about 1mm-1.5mm of the top.

Let us know how it sounds.

Good luck,

Daniel
  • TenorClefTenorClef UKNew
    Thanks guys, yeah i think i did have to sand off way to much of the bridge to make it useable so i decided to take it off and put back on my Gitane stock bridge for now. However i think the extra height improved the tone and volume. The sound was very different with the custom bridge than the stock bridge. Infact the sound was a bit weird inplaces some notes gave off an almost banjo-esque type sound. maybe thats the selmer sound? Don't know :roll: I'll defintely come back to this and look at a new bridge see if i can get one that is correct for the Saga Gitane design.
    Currently-Gitane 250M
    Previously-Gitane 255
    Previously- Gitane D500