DjangoBooks.com

Bireli in New York

GregHBGregHB New YorkNew
edited April 2007 in Welcome Posts: 47
Hi all. If anyone in the New York area hasn't already heard, Bireli Lagrene will be playing the Iridium Jazz Club in New York City this month...five dates April 18-22. There's information about the shows at IridiumJazzClub.com. See ya there! - Greg

Comments

• bbwood_98bbwood_98 Brooklyn, NyProdigy Vladimir music! Les Effes. . Its the best!
    an update,
    at the moment, Mr. lagrene is a no show . . . we'll see for fri sat and sun . . . I am hoping he gets here, but you never know.
    Cheers,
    B.
    ps Greg- who are you? do you play?
  • GregHBGregHB New YorkNew
    What a feeling...happy as can be...going to see Bireli for the first time...arrive at the club...the sign reads "Unfortunately, Bireli Lagrene will not be performing tonight. Sorry for the inconvenience". It seems Bireli is having some visa issues. Arrrrgh! Oh well, Jimmy Bruno of Philadelphia did play a very nice set.

bbwood - To answer your question, I really am nobody. Just someone who tries to play the guitar. I did attend the Django workshops in March at Barbes. Perhaps you were there?
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    BOTH you guys should head up here to Northampton, MA for Django in June this year...Wawau Adler, Stephane, Tim Kliphuis, Kruno, and the whole Djangobooks crew! What could be better?

In the meantime, keep us updated if Bireli shows...

best,
    Jack.
    I actually do have a spot reserved for Django Camp and I really look forward to meeting everyone there.
  • bbwood_98bbwood_98 Brooklyn, NyProdigy Vladimir music! Les Effes. . Its the best!
    greg,
    yeah, some of them . . .
    I jamed a lot, and took a bunch of film (perhaps you are one of the people waiting on this . . .).
    jack,
    I am not sure, I might try to get up for a day-into night; but I am actually going to try to go back to france and this might take up the budget for vacation . . hey did you know that norig and thus sebastien is going to seattle- I was thinking we might try to get them on the east coast for a few days. . .?
    Cheers,
    B.
  • HereticHeretic In the Pond✭✭✭
    I'm just curious. Did Bireli ever turn up for any of those scheduled gigs?
    What's going on? He seems to be loosing his god-like status.
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    my friend emailed him, and was told that there were visa problems
    No unfortunately Bireli did not make any of the shows at the Iridium. I've been told that he will be in New York later in the year but haven't confirmed it for myself yet. My friends and I did think up a rather elaborate scenario, however, where Bireli actually uses music as a front for his true occupation...international spy and sought after diamond theif (you know, tuxedos, grappling hooks, glass cutters, and feraris with car to car missiles). It seems the authorities are finally catching up to him. 8)
  • djadamdjadam Boulder, CONew
    Yikes, I actually thought seriously about flying in from Colorado to see this... I'm from NY so it's not like it would have been 100% for Bireli, but certainly the timing would have been.

"Visa problems" sounds fishy to me.
  • A.K. KibbenA.K. Kibben Tucson AZ USANew
    Adam,

Speaking of traveling, I may be in Boulder over the Fourth of July...
    You guys got anything booked that week with Dexter?
    Look forward to seeing you guys...
    I don't have any visa problems, except with my credit card...

Best,

A.K.