DjangoBooks.com

Jimmy Rosenberg Documentary

wayne nakamurawayne nakamura ✭✭✭✭
edited December 2007 in Archtop Eddy's Corner Posts: 169
I watched the Jimmy Rosenberg documentary last night on TVO. Very sad. Jimmy is in such bad shape between the drug addiction and the extended stays in a sanitarium.

His family seems cursed. All the boys got heavily into drugs. His father spent 9 years in jail for murdering his son-in-law who was abusing Jimmy's sister and their kids.

Jimmy signed a million dollar contract with Sony records and then burned through the money in a year. With his father in jail, Jimmy lost his guide and mentor and the whole family fell apart.

It was interesting watching Stochelo tell his side of it. Advising Jimmy that he has what most musicians only dream about and not to throw it away.

Jimmy ends up in jail for being in a fight where someone lost an eye. the program ends with Jimmy not showing up at Samois and his father renouncing him as his son until the drugs are under control.

It was very, almost too, revealing. I think Jimmy agreed to participate in the documentary to help atone for his sins. He is very hung up on guilt. How he let his father down, his two wives, his kids, his community. He looked so filled with pain and guilt it was hard to watch.

He still can play and improvise. Such a shame.

Wayne Nakamura

Comments

• PhilPhil Portland, ORModerator Anastasio
    We should throw a BIG Django Fest party for Jimmy here in the US, fly him over, welcome him with open arms so we can show him how much his music is loved and respected by us all...that might be the best medicine for him! ~ I love his music and wish him the best, Phil
  • blindjimmyblindjimmy phoenix,az✭✭✭✭
    BEST IDEA OF THE YEAR
    shut up and play your guitar
  • djangologydjangology Portland, OregonModerator
    yeah, great idea! i wonder if the country he lives in will let him leave? there must be a reason why this hasn't been done already...
  • RichRich New
    there must be a reason why this hasn't been done already...

Mainly I think because no one wants to risk paying all the overheads and selling all the tickets when it is most likely he won't show up. I don't think Jimmy's problems stem from not being in demand.. it's more he can't keep it togethor long enough to turn up and play.

How can we get this documentary available to the masses? Google videos? Anyone record it....?
  • stuckinkansasstuckinkansas KansasNew
    Any chance to get a copy? Download? Anything?
  • pdaiglepdaigle Montreal, QCNew
    I have it as a 600MB divx file...not sure how to distribute it (or if I should distribute it at all....copyrights and stuff).

Anybody have ideas/opinions?
    I certainly would love to see it! Hope someone has an idea.
    Thanks.
  • wayne nakamurawayne nakamura ✭✭✭✭
    I've contacted TVO sales department to see if we can purchase copies of the program. I'll let you know what the response is.

cheers

wayne
  • V-dubV-dub San Francisco, CA✭✭✭✭
    pdaigle wrote:
    I have it as a 600MB divx file...not sure how to distribute it (or if I should distribute it at all....copyrights and stuff).

Anybody have ideas/opinions?

Oh, you tease.

Google video (not youtube) would probably be your best bet, but I hear you on the copyright issues. I would hate it if this in any way was harmful to the folks involved with this film.
    Please Please keep me in mind. Would gladly pay for a copy!