DjangoBooks.com

Accordion and Jazz Manouche?

TenorClefTenorClef UKNew
edited February 2007 in Accordion Posts: 150
My first venture into the accordion section :D The accordion was it ever featured in dango's recordings? I must say i'll got a whole string of Django CD albums and i never noticed one. However the accordion has an obvious strong French flavour and you would think it would work well withiin the context of this style of gypsy jazz type music.

Any way from a point of interest to those who do play accordion, you have keys on one side and buttons on the other, and sometimes i hear terms like 16 bass or even 100 or more bass, no idea what that means but i assume to work within the frame work of jazz an accordion must be able to play jazz type chords or do you just find ways around this dilemma?
Currently-Gitane 250M
Previously-Gitane 255
Previously- Gitane D500

Comments

• TenorClefTenorClef UKNew
    Ok having had another look at this forum i doubt i'll get a reply any time soon but i did see this on you tube-
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnJkjgvC0nI
    Currently-Gitane 250M
    Previously-Gitane 255
    Previously- Gitane D500
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    This CD features Django accompanying musette accordionists on the banjo guitar:

Check out these recordings of Django with Gus Viseur:

TenorClef wrote:
    Ok having had another look at this forum i doubt i'll get a reply any time soon but i did see this on you tube-
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnJkjgvC0nI

Nice vid. Accordion sounds great in this music--I'd guess it harkens back to the bal-musette days.
  • brandoneonbrandoneon Alpes-de-Haute-Provence, France✭✭✭
    Any way from a point of interest to those who do play accordion, you have keys on one side and buttons on the other, and sometimes i hear terms like 16 bass or even 100 or more bass, no idea what that means but i assume to work within the frame work of jazz an accordion must be able to play jazz type chords or do you just find ways around this dilemma?

The # of bass buttons gives you an idea of how big the squeeze box is. The # is usually in some multiple of 6, since there are six rows of buttons: 3rd, root, major chord, minor chord, 7th chord, dim chord. So if you see 120 bass, there are 20 columns of buttons, and it's a full size beast. The next size down would be 96 bass. As for making jazz chords with the bass buttons, you can easily combine buttons to make a novel chord. For instance, C minor 7 = Cminor + E flat, and B minor 7 flat 5 = B + D minor, etc.
    There are plenty of great videos online of accordionists playing with a gypsy jazz band. Check out:
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... as+dutronc
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
  • TenorClefTenorClef UKNew
    Ok thanks for the info, the pianist in our our band is interested in getting an accordion, would a 72 bass be appropiate as this has the 7th and dim 7th in it. Cheers, TC.
    Currently-Gitane 250M
    Previously-Gitane 255
    Previously- Gitane D500