DjangoBooks.com

Schertler DYN-G: First honest review?

2»

Comments

• mitch251mitch251 marylandNew
    First, let me make clear that I am not really a gear guy and I never have been. When my fellow guitarists start going off about the wattage of their amps, the kind of tubes, what brand pickup they use, etc. I am usually baffled about how people can tell the difference.

I am not much of a gear guy either That being said I just plugged my
    new Scherfler pickup into my new Scherfler Unico amp and without much fuss
    at all it sounded great !!!!!! No more quacking! Not to mention I got to put a unfettered bridge on my guitar which made my DellArte sound louder and better than it allready did. I still havent gigged with it yet and I know thats where the rubber meets the road, but man what a great start. The amp has a mike input so I figure I can run a mike through it as well and send that to the board . I will control my own sound ! A great Guitar A great pickup and A great amp
    What a Swingin Thing
    Thanks Tom
  • TenorClefTenorClef UKNew
    I've posted this question else where but this subject seems relevant. I purchased a Schertler Dyn-G from this site and use a AER Alpha (the baby 40watt model) and when i attach it to my Gitane DG250M i struggle to get much more than a 1/4 vol out of the amp with out having to deal with feedback issues. This makes it hard to get solos much over the drums, comping is fine but solos are a struggle to come through.

Any tips on how to get a bit more out of the AER???
    Currently-Gitane 250M
    Previously-Gitane 255
    Previously- Gitane D500
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    If the DYN-G is going to feedback, it usually happens around 180Hz. Try rolling the bass off on your amp.

The best solution would be to use the PRE AII which has a Reson control. That notches out 180Hz, thereby dramatically reducing feedback. It also dries the sound up very nicely.

In general the DYN-G and AER amps are not the ideal combination. The DYN-G works well through most other amps and PA systems. The AER seems to do best with piezo type pickups...it seems to have a fairly radical EQ built into it that reduces the harshness and quackiness of a piezo. But if you run a different pickup through the AER that EQ seems to have a negative effect.
    [quote="

In general the DYN-G and AER amps are not the ideal combination. The DYN-G works well through most other amps and PA systems. The AER seems to do best with piezo type pickups..quote]

Well the irony for me is that i bought the AER (ok my wife bought me it) because i thought it would be the ideal companion for the Schertler Dyn-G and acoustic based instruments. I can see this being a bit like how long is a piece of string and how much money can we throw at it..........any way to cut a long storey short i re-read through this thread and took some of the advice on board and i can see that it is possible to get a little more out of my AER by ensuring it is placed facing away from my guitar i can now get the volume to 50% whilst the Master is set to 1/4 which means the guitar has at least 2 to 3 times its own acoustic volume. The amp is still really under worked and the sound is ok i guess, a lot less coloured than my old Marshall Acoustic 50AS but still not really a true reflection of the acoustic signal. I guess as the AER supports phantom power putting a condenser microphone into the XLR input would provide the cleanest signal, i have'nt tried this yet. But hell the Schertler Dyn-G cost me a lot of cash so this pickup should be better than a £50 Condenser mic, if not, what the hell are we doing???
    Currently-Gitane 250M
    Previously-Gitane 255
    Previously- Gitane D500
    TenorClef wrote:
    [quote="

In general the DYN-G and AER amps are not the ideal combination. The DYN-G works well through most other amps and PA systems. The AER seems to do best with piezo type pickups..quote]

Well the irony for me is that i bought the AER (ok my wife bought me it) because i thought it would be the ideal companion for the Schertler Dyn-G and acoustic based instruments. I can see this being a bit like how long is a piece of string and how much money can we throw at it..........any way to cut a long storey short i re-read through this thread and took some of the advice on board and i can see that it is possible to get a little more out of my AER by ensuring it is placed facing away from my guitar i can now get the volume to 50% whilst the Master is set to 1/4 which means the guitar has at least 2 to 3 times its own acoustic volume. The amp is still really under worked and the sound is ok i guess, a lot less coloured than my old Marshall Acoustic 50AS but still not really a true reflection of the acoustic signal. I guess as the AER supports phantom power putting a condenser microphone into the XLR input would provide the cleanest signal, i have'nt tried this yet. But hell the Schertler Dyn-G cost me a lot of cash so this pickup should be better than a £50 Condenser mic, if not, what the hell are am i doing???
    Currently-Gitane 250M
    Previously-Gitane 255
    Previously- Gitane D500