DjangoBooks.com

Saw Swing Gitan Friday night

JAMFJAMF ChicagoNew
edited February 2005 in CD, DVD, and Concert Reviews Posts: 32
Thanks to Jack I caught a Swing Gitan show Friday night. (It took someone from Boston to hip me to my own scene here in Chicago :D .)

But I don't think it was the usual group. It was Alfonso backed by vibes, bass, and drums. The sound clips I heard online had violin, no vibes. What's the norm?

Whatever. It was a nice show. Good set list of standards. The sound mix really featured the guitar, maybe a little too much at times. And it was nice to hear that gypsy style live. Alfonso really picked up steam in the second set while the vibist sat out. So it was essentially a trio with a big sound. They really filled the place nicley.

There was a good crowd. Hopefully an indicator of the resurging interest in this style of music.

One thing, though: It didn't appear Alfonso was rest picking. Is he a rest picker? Maybe I just haven't watched enough videos to recognize rest picking and the individual variations.

Comments

• JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    JAMF wrote:
    One thing, though: It didn't appear Alfonso was rest picking. Is he a rest picker? Maybe I just haven't watched enough videos to recognize rest picking and the individual variations.

I don't know what picking styles Alfonso uses; you could always take his class to find out up close:
    http://tinyurl.com/4l7aj
    The next one starts in just a few weeks.

Best,
    Jack.
  • JAMFJAMF ChicagoNew
    Awww, Jack, you're too much. :) Right now, I couldn't make that class. Too busy with a young family, etc.

But hopefully other board members from the Windy City will see this and take advantage of it. I think I learned a few things just sitting there and watching.
    hey there JAMF, the hot club style lineup played Saturday night at the same venue, Alfonso put together a group for Friday to play more along the lines of bebop, I think - the sound can be kind of tricky there, but we had a really good show on Saturday.

if you want to see us in our "element", you gotta come out to the Green Mill, it's been Chicago's #1 jazz club since the 20's, and it just drips with atmosphere & vibe. we're playing there the first 2 and the last 2 Wednesdays in March (2nd, 9th, 23rd and 30th) -

say howdy if you come out, and yes, Alfonso's class is great!

Carter
  • JAMFJAMF ChicagoNew
    Ah, sorry I missed the Hot Club lineup. I will look into catching you guys at the Green Mill. I might wait for warmer weather because I hear there's often a line to get in these days. :wink:
    howdy, I think the times we've had over-the-top lines was when we played weekends and over the Christmas holiday - on a Wednesday night if you go there by 9 or 9:30 you should be fine - they do have free parking in a gated lot one block east on Lawrence, btw.