DjangoBooks.com

Vintage Gypsy guitars vs. Modern makers

2»

Comments

• CampusfiveCampusfive Los Angeles, CA✭✭✭✭
    I don't know exactly what Whit was using at that gig, but he generally uses a gibson EH-150, even on the road. He has a big power transformer that carries along so he can always give it good, clean, power.
    He also uses a Dearmond guitar mic on a Epi cutaway deluxe.

He shows all his gear here: http://hotjazzcaravan.com/band.htm#
    click on what the band is playing on.

Oh, and he's a really nice guy too. He played a song on the Jeremy Wakefield record, and was really great to work with.

I've also taken to playing a guitar mic / EH-150 combo, and there is definitely a smaller frequency range. Also, 30's-40's amps are rather different sounding that even 50's amps. I think you can find any number of modern repro's or versions of 50's style - re:tweed - amps. For 30's-40's you have to go to the real deal.

I've been playing the guitar mic/EH-150 combo for the last 2 months, and last weekend I used my Peavey classic 30 instead. Wow - what a huge difference. Definitely greater frequency range - cleaner, more modern. Playing the gibson is like instant mojo.
  • Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
    Jonathan,

I went to your site and checked out your music again - wonderful stuff. I don't get to Los Angeles often, but I think I have a tradeshow there in June; if luck prevails and you have a gig I'll come see your band.

I checked it out - yep you were right - that was his amp. What a great one. I found a schematic for it online - simple circuit using 6L6 pentodes and I think a 6SN7 which is basically a buffed triode - a little more buffed than the usual mini-triodes like 12au7 12ax7 in most preamp sections but that may have been a conscious design feature because that would give a little more edge - more microphonics - more hum - more mojo. What a cool simple buffed little amp. Man, if time were plentiful I'd love to build one. Unfortunately time is anything but plentiful.

Sorry Pete - I've gotten a little off topic on this thread.
    You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.
  • CampusfiveCampusfive Los Angeles, CA✭✭✭✭
    Thanks very much.

Discussing that amp is very relevant at least to the point I was making. Old stuff isn't always better - but when they literally don't make them like they used to, old is the only way to go.

I've also gotten an EH-160 - which is the weird AC/DC version of the 150. Take a look at that schematic sometime - it's very odd, and it sounds like you might actually appreciate it. The 160 is still being fixed, so we'll see what it actually sounds like.....