DjangoBooks.com

Case versus Soundhole humidifiers

pdaiglepdaigle Montreal, QCNew
With winter approaching here in Quebec, I am shopping for a humidifier to keep my guitar happy. A room humidifer is unfortunaltely not an option for me.

I would like to know your opinions about Case (like the John Pearse K-Saire) versus Soundhole (like the Dampit or PlanetWaves) humidifiers.

I read that soundhole humidifiers can cause problems by getting the body too wet and not humidifying the neck.

Do you guys have opinions and recommendations on case or soundhole humidifiers?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Charlie AyersCharlie Ayers Salt Lake CityProdigy
    Before I switched to using a room humidifier, which I think is by far the best method, I used case and soundhole humidifiers, in combination. Unfortunately they need to be moistened every 3 days or so, and failure to keep them moist causes large fluctuations in humidity.

Since there are no soundhole humidifiers built for Sel/Macs (which would occupy the entire D or oval hole), you're left with those that dangle into the soundhole. They will help humidify the neck, but I used to put 2-3 plastic film cannisters with the tops off and filled with sponges, into a baggy and into the case by the headstock, to help with that.

Charlie
  • nwilkinsnwilkins New
    a room humidifier is by far the best way to go - you can set it to maintain a particular humidity and then all you have to do is change the water every day or three. it is far more reliable than the small humidifiers and works much better. Also you don't have to keep your guitar in its case all the time. They run about $70 CDN and are well worth it.