DjangoBooks.com

Angelo Debarre in Quebec

PhilPhil Portland, ORModerator Anastasio
edited September 2006 in CD, DVD, and Concert Reviews Posts: 765
I have a CD of an Angelo concert in Quebec from a few years ago.

Does anyone happen to know who the other solo guitarist is? There's a great 2nd solo on All of Me by a second guitarist...sounded a bit like Mayo Hubert, but not sure?

thanks

Phil

Comments

• pdaiglepdaigle Montreal, QCNew
    From what year?

I saw him tour with Matcho Winterstein here in Montreal in 2000 or 2002....
    According to this article:

http://pages.infinit.net/michto/biographie.htm

He performed a duo with Matcho at the Festival d'ete de Quebec in 2000...so it's probably him you hear on the recording.
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    Indeed...you should cross check it with this thread; probably the same stuff:
    http://www.hotclub.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3110

Best,
    Jack.
  • RKatzRKatz London✭✭✭✭
    Just saw Angelo at the Quecumbar last night, he was playing better than ever, seriously.

He mentioned that untill the age of forty a guitarist gets his technique down and once they (or rather him) reach that age they can focus on creativity and ideas exculsivly. Can't wait! :wink:

Thought I would just share that with you all.
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    RKatz wrote:
    Just saw Angelo at the Quecumbar last night, he was playing better than ever, seriously.

He mentioned that untill the age of forty a guitarist gets his technique down and once they (or rather him) reach that age they can focus on creativity and ideas exculsivly. Can't wait! :wink:

Thought I would just share that with you all.

Great...I only have 5 years of practicing left!

But what happens if you don't get your technique down by age 40? According to that rational Django only had 3 years of creativity before he died...:wink:

Maybe all those "master the guitar in three hours" ads you see on the Internet are only for people over 40? :)

'm
  • PhilPhil Portland, ORModerator Anastasio
    Thanks everyone. So now I must ask does Matcho Winterstein have any CDs out there that you'd recommend?

Cheers,

Phil
    Only one I am aware of is this one with Ritary Ensemble:

http://www.djangostation.com/article.php3?id_article=136&var_recherche=matcho

I haven't heard it, though.[/url]
  • Charlie AyersCharlie Ayers Salt Lake CityProdigy
    The Ritary and Matcho Winterstein CD is one of my favorites, for it's flowing solos and very strong la pompe on Embracable You, There Will Never Be Another You, Minor Swing, and others.

If there could only be more like it. I do like several other Ritary CDs, but that's my best.

Charlie
  • drollingdrolling New
    Phil wrote:
    I have a CD of an Angelo concert in Quebec from a few years ago.

Does anyone happen to know who the other solo guitarist is? There's a great 2nd solo on All of Me by a second guitarist...sounded a bit like Mayo Hubert, but not sure?

thanks

Phil
    Is this a bootleg disc, Phil? I'm not familiar with it, and I thought I had most of his records..

A few years back an enterpreneur in Quebec picked up the local distribution rights to reissue "Caprice" and I happened to catch Angelo & another guitarist (I think it must have been Matcho) perform a few tunes at a bookstore in Montreal. Sort of a mini-release party, there were only about half a dozen people in attendance & no recording equipment that I could see.

They ripped thru' a few standards & a couple of originals in less than 1/2 an hour. The playing was, of course, stellar, altho' Angelo looked like he'd rather be anywhere else. The promoter, on the other hand, was bubbling w/enthusiasm and told me that I'd missed a spectacular performance in Quebec City a couple nights earlier - that could be what you're listening to. I'd love to hear it, myself..
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    If Phil means the one I think he does, this is the tracklist:

Clouds
    Honeysuckle Rose
    Nuages
    La Gitane
    Swing Gitan
    Stompin' at Decca
    Manoir
    Les Yeux Noirs
    Melodie au Crepuscule
    Avalon
    I'll See You...
    Blues en Mineur
    ...Anything But Love
    Minor Swing
    Les Fenêtres de Moscou
    All of Me
    Les Feuilles Mortes
    Cherokee
    Bossa Dorado
    There Will Never Be Another You

I don't think it's ever been officially released...

Hope that helps,
    Jack.