DjangoBooks.com

Similarities Between Charlie Parker Intro and Improvisation #2

RipRip olympia, washingtonNew
in History Posts: 301

I don't know who composed the intro on this charlie parker intro, but from the 7-10 sec mark, it sounds like improv #2.

Maybe this was apart of the language back then? If anybody has any insight, I would be interested.

charlie -

django -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeZqVuH6QoE

MichaelHorowitzBillDaCostaWilliams

Comments

• wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    edited May 2023 Posts: 1,454

Interesting. It's probably just a coincidence - it sounds quite like a foreshadowing of the melody.

Django no.2 was in 1938, and this arrangement was about 10 years later. The tune "Everything happens to me" is in some GJ players repertoire these days- Thomas Baggerman plays it, and Steve Laffont. I've definitely heard Samy Daussat quote it in solos, but not sure if he's ever recorded it.

BucoBillDaCostaWilliams
  • RipRip olympia, washingtonNew

I can also see it being a coincidenceI and it does sound like it's foreshadowing the melody, this makes sense. a little chord melody. It caught my attention for sure. I wouldn't be surprise if some classical pianist did something prior to these 2.

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator

I’m guessing Django stole that motif from Debussy or Ravel.

BucoBillDaCostaWilliams

I was thinking along those lines but I was gonna dribble a ball a bit; he was probably inspired himself by... Michael just went for a dunk; yeah, we're done here.

RipMichaelHorowitzbillyshakesBillDaCostaWilliams
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel

And what do you know but 'Everything Happens To Me' is also very much like Babik's 'Une Histoire Simple'

wim

Nice find.