DjangoBooks.com

Castelluccia tuners

DragonPLDragonPL Maryland✭✭ Dupont MD 50-XL (Favino), Michael Dunn Stardust, Castelluccia Tears, Yunzhi gypsy jazz guitar, Gitane DG-320, DG-250M and DG-250

My Castelluccia tuning peg gear has totally worn out, to the point I can't twist it to even tighten or release the string.

Anyone have any advice on how to proceed? Replace the whole side tuning strip? Just the gear?

If so, what are the specifications; gear ratio, tuners? What are these tuners? Are they an old Schaller tuners? They don't look like the Schaller tuners sold here.

Any help is appreciated.

Comments

• Jangle_JamieJangle_Jamie Scottish HighlandsNew De Rijk, some Gitanes and quite a few others

Looks ok to me from this photo - are you sure it's the gear that's stripped? I'm sure a new cog could be found as a replacement if it really is that. Are you sure it's not the ivory winder that's turning on the spindle?

• DragonPLDragonPL Maryland✭✭ Dupont MD 50-XL (Favino), Michael Dunn Stardust, Castelluccia Tears, Yunzhi gypsy jazz guitar, Gitane DG-320, DG-250M and DG-250
    edited January 2023 Posts: 172

Maybe the picture does not show it well, but the four teeth on the gear, touching the tuning screw, are stripped.

• Jangle_JamieJangle_Jamie Scottish HighlandsNew De Rijk, some Gitanes and quite a few others

Ah righto, sorry!! I would hope someone here could point you in the right direction of spares.

• billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

Do you know what caused the teeth in just that section to degrade so much? It might seem to me that is some sort of misalignment that would cause it there? If so, you might not want to put a new gear in there, even if it were possible, as it might happen again. I'd probably consider buying a new plate. Have you tried contacting Castellucia? Perhaps there is some sort of warranty on parts?

Jangle_Jamie
  • DragonPLDragonPL Maryland✭✭ Dupont MD 50-XL (Favino), Michael Dunn Stardust, Castelluccia Tears, Yunzhi gypsy jazz guitar, Gitane DG-320, DG-250M and DG-250

That particular string tuner was always hard to turn. I just never payed it much attention, and here we are.

Thanks for the suggestion to contact them, I just did, lets see what they come back with.

billyshakesJangle_Jamie