DjangoBooks.com

NGD - Gitane DG-250M

I just received a used Gitane DG-250M in pristine condition for a super low price.

Whether you have had good or bad experiences with Guitar Center, the one thing I like most about them is their lack of knowledge. I check their website often and when they don't know what they have, the price can be ridiculously low.

Mine came in with the wrong strings and they were pretty old. Other than the strings, the guitar was well cared for. Even with the existing string, which I risked a case of tetanus playing them, it sounded great. After installing a set of Argentine 10s, it came to life! Very responsive even to light picking and LOUD. Rich tone and versatile.

I wish the neck were a little fatter, but the sound is so good, I will adjust. I took it to rehearsal last night and was in aural paradise.

Pics to follow.

DeuxDoigts_TonnerreJSantabillyshakestnhughes

Comments

• billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

What is fascinating to me is how anybody in this day and age can not know what they have. Simple searches of Reverb or like sites will show completed listings for comparable items. I would have thought the staff of guitar center would be sophisticated enough to see through a lousy pair of strings. Their loss, your win. Happy for you.

rsclosson
  • rsclossonrsclosson New

This leaves me with a problem. I really like my Altamira M-10. It is different but not better or worse. Right now the Gitane has the edge, but the M-10 needs fresh string, which would close the gap.

I have an agreement with my better half that if something comes in, something has to go. (I must have been unconscious or semi conscious when I agreed to that) So I will be hard pressed to decide which one goes. I am hoping to get rid of one of my archtops that is getting no use. If so, I can keep both.

Until then, I will be in a quandary.

• DeuxDoigts_TonnerreDeuxDoigts_Tonnerre Lawrenceville GA USANew Stringphonic #503 Basic, Altamira M30D, Eastman AR810CE, Giannini Craviola

That is a beautiful guitar. Nice find. Years ago I also found a Gitane DG-250M at Guitar Center for a good price. Phos-bronze strings, bridge was secured with icky stuff (Gorilla Snot maybe?). I just happened to have a set of proper Argentines in my vehicle. I bought the guitar and had their tech put the strings on for me right there in the store. He also gave the fretboard a good cleaning as it was a bit grubby. Several store associates had already gathered around as they were also interested in how the guitar would sound with proper strings.

The neck was about as thin as a Stratocaster neck. The guitar was very playable and sounded fine but I ended up selling it because my hand would hurt after 2 songs worth of rhythm playing. I was more used to a chunky neck on my Altamira M30D which also sounded a bit better to me than the Gitane.

Now I have had the Altamira for 10 years, and a Stringphonic Basic 503 for 1 year. It did not take any time for me to get accustomed to the neck on Stringphonic when I got it.

• Jangle_JamieJangle_Jamie Scottish HighlandsNew De Rijk, some Gitanes and quite a few others

Keep both guitars!!! Instruments change over time and you'll enjoy playing both at different times I'm sure. Maybe you can agree that something else goes instead.

The 250M is a great guitar. I've played a few and they were all the same - loud and full. With an upgraded tailpiece (Miller/Killy Nonis) and perhaps eventually a refinish of the top, it's a keeper.

I played a nice Altamira birdseye maple in Melbourne recently and it was a nice guitar too.

• rsclossonrsclosson New

That is what I hope happens. I have an archtop that is sitting neglected so I hope I can move it. What kind of tailpiece do you think would be good. I am looking at the Busatos.

• rsclossonrsclosson New

Thanks to their lack of knowledge, I have caught many great deals. In fact I got my Altamira the same way. It was listed under classical guitars, of all things. Another bargain price! I don't know where the strings came from. They were loop end, but not GJ. I am guessing they could be banjo strings.

• Jangle_JamieJangle_Jamie Scottish HighlandsNew De Rijk, some Gitanes and quite a few others

What did you pay for the Gitane 250M?

For tailpieces, I have three Killy Nonis and one Miller, and they're great - a definite improvement on Gitane and other cheaper tailpieces. I replaced a Gitane with a Miller and the improvement was noticeable immediately. I recommend either of those two makers as a guaranteed improvement. I haven't any experience of the Dupont tailpieces. Maybe someone else can comment.

• rsclossonrsclosson New

$549

Having trouble finding the tailpieces you mentioned. I will keep researching.

That's great! A great price for that guitar. You buy those tailpiceces direct from the makers themselves. Shipping to the US might add a fair bit.