DjangoBooks.com

Dec. Song Of The Month--Coquette

2»

Comments

• wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    edited December 2022 Posts: 1,457

@Buco it was this bridge, which is similar https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWWVfw6EZ-Q

10 years ago I thought, hey that's a pretty cool bridge! But my tastes have changed since then, and now I think it's questionable to play something so notey in place of the melody. Save the guitar licks for your guitar solo.

tnhughesWillieMikeKBuco

Ha! I still think it's cool, and yeah that's the same thing more or less. But I much prefer sticking to the melody in general. Minimal embellishments are ok, without turning it upside down. Once you're done with playing the melody, do whatever you like. Most of these songs are just so pretty, it's really a shame that so many times we don't get to hear them the way they were meant to be.

DoubleWhiskyMikeKbillyshakesWillieJasonS
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • MikeKMikeK Asheville, NCNew Altamira M-10, Epiphone Zephyr Regent

Here's the chart we use:

It's super simple & straightforward. The other guitar player in my band sometimes suggests spicing it up by changing the D major in bars 25 & 26 to the realtive minor, Bm7. It allows the possibility of changing what you play over it. But of course, being the relative minor, it doesn't matter if you forget it. Nice discussion this month, thanks to everyone who contributed.

WillieBillDaCostaWilliams
  • JasonSJasonS New

If the head is being played close to the original way it was written I usually drop the added ii chords in the bridge on that chart. So just D7 | G | E7 | A7. I hear a lot of people do the chromatic walkdown from the G to E7 as well. The added chords can be cool to add some harmonic motion during solos though. As always, chords are merely suggestions 😀

MikeK
  • pdgpdg ✭✭

You could also play Fdim7 in the second half of the second bar.

• AndyWAndyW Glasgow Scotland UK✭✭✭ Clarinets & Saxes- Selmer, Conn, Buescher, Leblanc et.al. // Guitars: Gerome, Caponnetto, Napoli, Musicalia, Bucolo, Sanchez et. al.

I keep coming back to this version of "coquette" - the Paris gang really swinging & making it look effortless.

(& I borrow Fiona's middle eight on the head when I play it on clarinet)

billyshakesrudolfochristBucoWillieBillDaCostaWilliams
  • Dave_PDave_P Kensington, CANew Altamira M30D

Can anyone help with some advice on the descending arpeggio in measure 2 in Stochelo's version? Does everyone pick it the way he does?  I am trying to learn rest stroke picking, and that is a really hard arpeggio with all of the down strokes. Keep at it? Or can I get away with a sweep? Thanks guys.

• edited December 2022 Posts: 4,737

Here's the real and only version of original melody sang by none other than @Willie

billyshakes
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel