DjangoBooks.com

Fresh set of strings the simple mans way (make your dead strings sound fresh again)

DoubleWhiskyDoubleWhisky Upper FranconiaNew Dupont MD60, 1940s Castelluccia

Maybe this is common knowledge and i'm just living behind a rock (well I do anyways) but a friend of mine sent me this video and I think this is just great information! It's demonstrated with a bass in the video, but works with guitars as well. Be honest, did you all know this neat little trick and were just hiding it from me?

Buco

Comments

• billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

I don't think it would help my g-strings whose windings have split and rattle around. 😂

wim
  • DoubleWhiskyDoubleWhisky Upper FranconiaNew Dupont MD60, 1940s Castelluccia

I was about to look for a picture of a ripped g string for a bad pun, but I'll let it go for now haha. I suspect the same, but on the way there you can treat the wound strings to a refreshing treatment every now and then with this method.

• billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

I'm lying if I said I didn't expect a comment like that. But I didn't really see a way else to describe the situation.

BucoDoubleWhisky

Never heard gotta say. You shake off the dirt, makes sense. I'll slap them silly once they go dead.

DoubleWhisky
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • TonyReesTonyRees New South Wales, Australia
    edited December 2022 Posts: 140

Someone showed me this on my acoustic flat tops around 10-15 years back and I have been doing it ever since! Saved heaps on new strings (which of course you do need eventually). I have also done it in guitar stores where the instrument I want to try sounds very dead - with their permission of course (bearing in mind a string can break if old when returning it to standard pitch). However the results can be amazing in that situation!

As the original poster implied, not many people seem to be aware of this option, same with my experience! Of course it only really works on the bottom 4 / wound strings - however that saves some time since you only need to do 4 not 6 ...

Tony

DoubleWhisky
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    edited December 2022 Posts: 1,457

Works great for that old underwear caked up with fat and grease too. I've saved hundreds on laundry detergent.

BillDaCostaWilliamsnomadgtrbillyshakes
  • crothcroth ✭✭

Does anyone think that technique might have a debilitating effect on the frets? If it causes you to need a re-fret earlier will you actually have saved money on strings in the longer run? Thoughts?