DjangoBooks.com

does my guitar need a neck reset ?

in FAQ Posts: 8

not quite sure where to post this question but...

after quite a bit of reading about break angle, string break and the like I'm not sure I understand my situation any better now.

the digest version is that I bought a guitar that arrived with a very low string angle... maybe 2 degrees. the action is a bit high ~ 3.5mm

lowering the action some is going to reduce the string angle even more. the guitar sounds OK but I think it should sound better.

side view of the bridge are attached.

I've been referred to Gerard Egan (Santa Cruz, Cal.) and did send an email but it's been about 10 days w/o a response.

input appreciated.

TIA

Tagged:

Comments

• mac63000mac63000 Tacoma, WANew Geronimo Mateos Jazz B

I'm no luthier but that looks like a sunken top. Do you have more photos?

• pdgpdg ✭✭

You might also try Gryphon Guitars in Palo Alto, CA, if you're in that general area.

• ChrisMartinChrisMartin Shellharbour NSW Australia✭✭ Di Mauro x2, Petrarca, Genovesi, Burns, Kremona Zornitsa & Paul Beuscher resonator.

Agreed.

Unless it is a trick of the light it does look wrong.

The easy way to check is to just place a straight edge along that part of the surface.

But if it has sunk that would make your problem worse, if the top is too low, then fixing that to raise it would make the action even higher. Very strange. I can only guess something, the braces maybe, has come unglued inside allowing not only the area under the bridge to sink, but also the neck block has moved inward bringing the neck angle down too.

Only a guess. I have a little endoscope camera that is very handy for looking inside such things but without seeing it in detail it sounds like you need to get a luthier look at it.

• BonesBones Moderator

How's the humidity in your area. Is the guitar dried out? What is the bridge height?

• pdgpdg ✭✭

There are so many variables, I think you should have a luthier who's familiar with gypsy jazz guitars take a look. An evaluatiin miggt not cost you anything. And the solution may depend on the value of the instrument. ("Neck resets" are typically related to guitars with fixed bridges and no tailpiece, since the string tension pulls up on the guitar top.)

You could also tell the luthier what action (6th string, 1st string ) and what neck relief (e.g., .011") you want (at about 50% humidity and 70 degrees).

BillDaCostaWilliamsBones

My guitar needed a neck reset which my luthier did for free. String break angle looked similar.

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • BonesBones Moderator

Wow that was nice of your luthier! A neck reset is a big job

• edited September 2022 Posts: 4,730

I said let me cover the materials cost because he also replaced the fretboard, he replied "I said no charge". My feeling was that he was very much bothered that the neck kept moving, like "my $h!t is solid damnit".

• richter4208richter4208 ✭✭✭

@buco Was it the same luthier that originally built the guitar?