DjangoBooks.com

Joscho Stephan - Wonderwall (Oasis) cover

billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E
in Europe Posts: 1,302

On the recent theme of people putting their own spin to music, I always enjoy when players take more current pop songs and play them in this style. Stochelo and Mozes both do a version of Stevie Wonder's "I Wish." Robin Nolan has done a nice version of "And I Love Her" among many others (Tainted Love, AC/DC, etc). The list could be endless. I just like that they aren't constrained by the same songbook of the 1930s-40s, calcified forever. Those are great tunes, but there are some nice modern songs too. I think it helps a new listener find the music accessible. They know the song so they can then appreciate the virtuosity. Here's Joscho doing an Oasis song. It's clearly Wonderwall, but also clearly Joscho. You can hear his own voice in the cover.

Bucowim

Comments

• edited August 2022 Posts: 4,730

Watched this a few days ago, very nice. A friend once told me that they have sophisticated chord progressions masterfully wrapped into these singable pop melodies.

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • ChrisMartinChrisMartin Shellharbour NSW Australia✭✭ Di Mauro x2, Petrarca, Genovesi, Burns, Kremona Zornitsa & Paul Beuscher resonator.
    edited August 2022 Posts: 959

I have made that point many times on here. Django played the hits of the day and as with most jazz players, the tradition of improvising around popular tunes continues and if he were around today I am sure Django would be finding inspiration everywhere. When Django and the HCQ first started in the early thirties, records of popular tunes had only really been available for around ten years and the only other influences would have been whatever was being passed around among travelling and street musicians, so the repertoire was limited to classical, show tunes, what we now call 'standards' and some traditional gypsy tunes.

It surprises me how many Django copyists might consider themselves 'jazz' players yet refuse to acknowledge anything composed after 1950, relying instead on recycling the same catalogue that Django was restricted to in the 1930s.

There is another thread currently up for discussion on here about Django's recordings with colors in the title and I cheekily added Purple Haze to see if there was any reaction (there wasn't) but I put it forward anyway as that is a great tune to play in a GJ style, give it a go, it fits totally.

If one prefers show tunes there have been many great songs from composers who have come along since Django passed on, don't be stuck in the past, listen to Sondheim, Rice and Lloyd Webber etc, and certainly The Beatles left a huge choice of material to work on; as noted above, Robin Nolan's 'And I Love Her', Biel Ballester has a great version of 'In My Life', and the HCSF had a go with their 'John Paul George & Django' CD. There should be more.

So yes, lets have some fresh ideas, hopefully to bring out some new ideas and original thoughts about playing.

billyshakes
  • billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

I cheekily added Purple Haze to see if there was any reaction (there wasn't)

Come on, I laughed! ha ha😂

If one prefers show tunes there have been many great songs from composers who have come along since Django passed....and certainly The Beatles left a huge choice of material to work on; as noted above

Agree with you 100% here. When we had Harmonious Wail play at our wedding, we requested (and they graciously learned) "Til There Was You" for our "song", which covers both a show tune from after Django passed and a song the Beatles performed. Sounds great with a Bolero rhythm!

Jojo
  • CuimeanCuimean Los AngelesProdigy

Huh! It works surprisingly well. I never realized how similar the "Wonderwall" melody is to the melody from "Swing 48."

littlemark

that's an interesting cover

the guitars look gypsy kind but the sound of the band is very Gadjo to my ears

@billyshakes thank you for the note, I just check the version of I wish Stochelo and Mozes made and it was wonderful

billyshakes