DjangoBooks.com

The swinging pastors

WillieWillie HamburgNew
edited August 2022 in Europe Posts: 825

I found this documentary about the evangelical Sinti mission "Vie et lumière" (life and light) on youtube.

There is some fine music starting at 0:50, 2:15, 3:24, 3:57, 7:57, 11:11. Most of the participating musicians are pastors and are playing at services and other mission context only - what a pity.

pdgBillDaCostaWilliamsBucoMichaelHorowitz

Comments

• AndrewUlleAndrewUlle Cleveland, OH✭✭✭ Cigano GJ-15

What a pity?

• WillieWillie HamburgNew

What a pity that you cannot listen to their music in clubs and concert halls.

• JDRookeJDRooke New

Why assume you can't? I just met a performing player this summer who is part of a prominent Sinti Gypsy jazz family who I was surprised to discover was also a pastor. When I was around the family in question (not named so as to reduce disparagement) beers were had and no attempts at proselytizing occurred.

• WillieWillie HamburgNew

It is mentioned somewhere in the documentation that many of the mentioned musicians don't play public gigs. Some do, some don't. In the German Sinti scene for example there are phantastic players, most of them guitarists, who play for religious and family celebrations only, or at least most of the time.

JDRookeBillDaCostaWilliams