DjangoBooks.com

Is this bad?

vanmalmsteenvanmalmsteen Diamond Springs ,CANew Latch Drom F, Eastman DM2v, Altamira m30d , Altimira Mod M

The circular pattern is a clear film that I cut out because my fingernails were tearing up the finish, so it’s a pickguard, and it feels like it would be very hard to peel off if I were to have somebody repair that crack? Does that crack look terrible, is the pic guard providing it any stability? Should I just loosen the strings and not play it?

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator

@vanmalmsteen I would recommend having that crack cleated as they often just get worse if they’re not secured. Those Mylar scratchplates usually come off with heat. Our tech John can usually get them off seamlessly.

’m

BillDaCostaWilliams
  • BonesBones Moderator

For sure take it to a luthier. They will peel off the pickguard with a little heat then work some glue into the crack and add a cleat (small piece of spruce) inside and across grain to stabilize it. They can prob touch up the finish as well.

Try one of the pick guard materials that don't need adhesive if you want.

BillDaCostaWilliams
  • vanmalmsteenvanmalmsteen Diamond Springs ,CANew Latch Drom F, Eastman DM2v, Altamira m30d , Altimira Mod M

I appreciate the response guys thank you:0

• richter4208richter4208 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2022 Posts: 521

nothing worse than watching a guitar go from bad to worse. Definitely worth taking care of it.

vanmalmsteen