DjangoBooks.com

New member! Question about La Gitana Lick , Rosenberg Trio

talcrontalcron Corinth MSNew
edited November 2008 in Licks and Patterns Posts: 4
Hey Guys! Wow.. I wish I'd had internet a year ago when I Really started trying to learn this style! This site is godly! heh
I've practiced alot on just learnin standards etc in this style , now Im tryin to learn more Gypsy style stuff like La Gitana. Any insight as to how Stochello does that main lick?!?!??! good night .. its so fast .. and cool.. lol.. Im dyin ! I cant learn it, and it dont sound all that hard , I just cant hear it!, whjere to started the chromatic decent ... Any help appreciated. Sorry so long winded , just sayin my initial greet! I'll be shorter in the future! Thanks in advance!!

The Gypsy Noob

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Welcome Noob,

[quote="talcron"] Any insight as to how Stochello does that main lick?!?!??! [/quote]

He's just using the rest stroke technique. See:

Gypsy Picking

• talcrontalcron Corinth MSNew
    Soon My friend :) I just found your site. Im going to invest some money. I have alist !! This book and a few others I AM buying in the next week or two. I've never really picked , so I got a long way to go with my right hand. I've always played fingerstyle , but Ive come along quickly picking, just never read anything or had instruction on this styles technique.

I bought a DJ300 to start learning with and I Love it. I had played a DelArte Dark Eyes at Gruhns in Nashville and the Jorgenson Smoked it all the way around , punch volume , playabillity etc., you sell them The dj for about $200 less than what I payed and you have another I want , jsut to have a Dhole ima buy that other DG to check out the differences. YOu and your sight are gonna be an invalueable asset to me : )
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    thanks for the kind words....enjoy the site!

'm
  • V-dubV-dub San Francisco, CA✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2006 Posts: 325
    Do you mean this?

[code]
    -1 3 1 0----------------------
    ---------3 1------------------
    -------------3 2-------0 1 2--
    -------------------3----------
    ------------------------------
    ------------------------------
    D U D U D U D U D D U D
    [/code]

Stochelo's version of La Gitane is quite a bit different from the original Tchan Tchou one. If you want to figure out the quintessential recording, the Angelo Debarre one on "Gypsy Guitars" is the one everybody figures it out from.

Also, if you are having trouble hearing fast lines (who doesn't?), Transcribe! is your new best friend: [url=http://www.seventhstring.com/]http://www.seventhstring.com/[/url]
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    hey vic, i think you might have written that last one a bit too fast

i think you acually meant
    1 3 1 0
              3 1 
                   3 2

angelo's version is definitely very beautiful, but i learned it from stochelo :-D
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    Some of this might be useful:

http://jazz.chansons.free.fr/guitarejazz2.htm
    (there's a tab for the tune, but probably full of mistakes...)

Joscho Stephan playing the tune:

Shepp & Co. having a go at it in PA:

And by all means pick up this DVD:
    angelo_dvd.jpeg

Best,
    Jack.
    dennis wrote:
    hey vic, i think you might have written that last one a bit too fast
    :-D

Thanks Dennis... it has been corrected. That'll teach me to try writing tab without a guitar in front of me!

Careful with this tune. It has been known to cause serious injury. Just ask Robin!
  • talcrontalcron Corinth MSNew
    good lord , I love u guys! thank you! I'll get Debarre playin it and learn that version as well
  • ElliotElliot Madison, WisconsinNew
    Speaking of, did Debarre's band goof up the ending on this one? He kind of gives them a look at the end....
    Elliot wrote:
    Speaking of, did Debarre's band goof up the ending on this one? He kind of gives them a look at the end....

I assume you're talking about the DFNW DVD. I noticed that too. It's definitely an uncomfortable moment, along with many others during that performance. I get the feeling they weren't very well rehearsed.

Still worth every penny, though.