DjangoBooks.com

Guitarist/Guitar Pick List

Guitar picks seem to play a pretty important role in this style. I figured I would try to compile a list of some guitarists and the guitar pick that they are most often associated with (eg. Bireli with the Dunlop Delrin 500 1.5 MM, Stochelo with the Wegen Big City).

I hoping this would be a good resource for those of us who always wonder which pick their favorite guitarist uses.

I know that all these folks can probably play with and sound like themselves with any kind of pick and that pick preference can change often, but it would still be a nice reference to have.

Here's what I have so far. I based these on watching videos or what they have said during interviews. I know some of you will point out all the errors I have made ?

Feel free to add to the list! I am curious to know what some other players use like Tchavolo Schmitt, Dorado Schmitt, and Mozes Rosenberg.

Dunlop Delrin 500 1.5MM

Bireli Lagrene

Adrien Moignard

Sebastien Giniaux

Benji Winterstein

Samson Schmitt

Robin Nolan

Yorgui Loeffler

Andres Oberg

Dunlop Delrin 500 2.0MM

Hono Winterstein

Dunlop Gator Grip 2.0MM

Amati Schmitt

Antoine Boyer

Denis Chang

Dunlop Gator Grip 1.5MM

Rocky Gresset

Dunlop Big Stubby 3.0MM

Jimmy Rosenberg

Wegen Big City 1.8MM

Stochelo Rosenberg

Christiaan Van Hemert

Joscho Stephan

Wegen GP350

Angelo Debarre

Tortoise Shell Pick

Rino van Hooijdonk

Tagged:
rudolfochristBucot-birdBillDaCostaWilliams

Comments

• BonesBones Moderator

Years ago Gonzalo used Gators. Not sure how thick maybe 2mm??? No clue what he uses nowadays.

• edited September 2022 Posts: 3

I don't know about mm, but I do know about the shape of some of my favorite rockers. Ritchie Blackmore has used rectangular shaped plectrums, pointed at one end, for most of his career. Originally they were made from tortoise shell, now from plastic. Jimmy Page uses nylon picks, they're pretty resistant to abrasion. I usually buy steel ones at https://ironageaccessories.com/ but I'm not picky about plectrums. I once tried playing with the ones Richie uses, but realized that the pick is mostly a personal preference thing. And also, some musicians make picks for their own designs, like Kirk Hammett, now I'm considering that option for myself as well.

BillDaCostaWilliams
  • rudolfochristrudolfochrist Worms, GermanyNew Dupont MD-100

Brady Winterstein also uses the Dunlop Gator Grip 2.0mm

• pdgpdg ✭✭

Gismo Graf used to use Guzz picks, until they became unavailable; now he uses Dunlop 207 jazz picks.

• stuologystuology New

This list does make me wonder why so many people are prepared to spend 30 bucks or more on a pick.

mac63000wim
  • mac63000mac63000 Tacoma, WANew Geronimo Mateos Jazz B

Ha I was thinking the same. Use the pick that feels and sounds good to your hand and ear, imho. Seems to be what the pros do.

• edited June 2022 Posts: 71

Regarding Bireli, he's usually using the purple Dunlop but he also seems pretty opportunistic with his pick selection because I feel like I've seen him use quite a few different picks as well - hell, he even used a Jazz II or III in some of the DC vids:

• rudolfochristrudolfochrist Worms, GermanyNew Dupont MD-100

Joschi Graf is still using Guzz picks. Perhaps he has some in stock or is very careful not losing it 😊