DjangoBooks.com

Eddie Lang Challenge 2022... closes on June 15

Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
edited April 2022 in Eddie Lang Club Posts: 1,854

This year's Eddie Lang challenge is a bit different, and I hope you like it.

It's the same El Cheapo prize as last year, a $100 gift certificate at djangobooks.com... sorry!

Using the acoustic guitar style of Lang/Reinhardt/Aleman, your job is to accompany a singer.

There are two recordings of singers to choose from. You can also choose to enter using both if you wish...

A) Our Hamburg friend WILLIE singing the 1931 classic "Just a Gigolo" along with a click track.

B) My wife PAMELA singing the 1929 classic "It Had to be You" along with a click track.

Both recordings begin with four bars of empty space for your guitar intro.

Both recordings leave space for your guitar solo in the middle.

Your job is to record your guitar and then send me your track/s which I will attach to the vocal track while deleting the click track.

I will post the lovely results here so that forum members can vote for their favourite... most votes wins!

I am attaching mp3 recordings for both songs, plus sheet music which you are free to use or disregard as you feel appropriate.

All entries must be submitted prior to JUNE 15, 2022!

Good luck!

Will

Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
BucobillyshakesMichaelHorowitz

Comments

Nice challenge, Will!

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • BillDaCostaWilliamsBillDaCostaWilliams Barreiro, Portugal✭✭✭ Mateos, Altamira M01F, Huttl

Truly fab idea for the 2022 edition of this prestigious award.

• Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator

Hey guitarists!

June is here—- reminder: just two weeks left before the contest closes on June 15.

Please e-mail your MP3 files to [email protected]

Remember, you can enter with either one or both of the tunes above.

Please include your chosen ‘nom de plume’ so when I post the entries the identities of the players will be concealed.

Thanks,

Will

Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."

Hey! My first entry just arrived.

Thank you, contestant number one, “Mission Creep”…

Will

PS Contestants, could you please help me by emailing your sound files as MP3 attachments to me at

[email protected]

That way I can drag and drop ‘em right where they need to go…

Thanks!

Will

PS Just eight more days remaining!

Better get busy, Eddie Lang Challengers!

Well, the June 15 deadline has come and gone with only one entry to the Eddie Lang Challenge… (thanks, Buco!)

So I must officially declare that this year’s contest has Laid An Egg.

I’m going to have to do some thinking about whether to try this again next year or not…

Will

BucobillyshakesBillDaCostaWilliams

• billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

Buco for the win!

BillDaCostaWilliamsBucowim

I just left a class with Matt Munisteri so now I'm armed with proper tools to be an actual contender the next time around.

billyshakes
  • billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

Was just going to post how this is the week of DiJ so it appears the forum slows down with many regular posters otherwise engaged in hours long jams on the Smith College campus. Have fun in Northampton!

Buco

Lack of sleep is in full swing. But last night I listened to a jam with Mat Munisteri and a couple of clarinet players, another few guitars, a violin. They were so, so good, it was magic. It's probably number one reason why I love coming here so much. It's like a private concert in your own backyard with you being able to listen to it from a few feet distance. Will, you would've been in heaven.

Here's Matt's handout from today's class. You would not believe the music he makes with this stuff.

rudolfochristbillyshakesBillDaCostaWilliamsAzazzell

Yeah, I am a Matt fan, too, Buco.

Would have loved to be there but I have just two @#$& gigs this summer and they both fell on this weekend!