DjangoBooks.com

Transcribed Gypsy Jazz Chordbook : any song missing ?

MartinGMartinG MontréalNew Dupont
edited June 2022 in Welcome Posts: 46

(Edit : the document is available here : https://www.martingioani.com/transcribed-gypsy-jazz-chordbook.php )

Hi ! I worked hard these last weeks on the first version of the "Transcribed Gypsy Jazz Chordbook", which is planned to be release in a week or two.

The first version will be approximately 200 songs long. In the future it will probably be longer, like 300 songs or more, but for the first release I want to make sure I didn't forget any famous song.

And as I am sure I did, that would be great if you could have a look at the list, making sure your favorite tunes are in there :-)

Here's a link to the list (and a PDF file for those who can't access it) : https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14JGvDTgBpTNvyaEpBqzVpmnNdzJUgbiat3rpWRCO2w8/edit?usp=sharing

Thank you in advance ! (as the french say) 😁

Buconomadgtrgeese_comMikeKAzazzellrudolfochrist

Comments

• ivyguitarivyguitar New

Green Dolphin Street with Rosenberg version?

• crothcroth ✭✭
    edited May 2022 Posts: 107

Bossa Dorado

Festival 48

• jonpowljonpowl Hercules, CA✭✭✭ Dupont MD-100, Altamira M01F

Quick look: There Will Never Be Another You

This song is one of my favorites and I like this version from my friends at Swing Brule https://www.facebook.com/watch/?ref=saved&v=201024127480520

• geese_comgeese_com Madison, WINew 503

These will probably be in the next version, but I figured I would point them out. There are more, but this is a start.

Donna Lee, I've Got Rhythm, Isn't She Lovely, Sunny, It Don't Mean A Thing, Jersey Bounce, La Mer, La Vie en Rose, Lulu Swing, La Foule, Ma Premiere Guitar, Rhythm Gitane, Moonglow, Noto Swing, Paquito, September Song, Shine, Softly as in a Morning Sunrise, Swing 85, Take The A Train, There Will Never Be Another You

• MikeKMikeK Asheville, NCNew Altamira M-10, Epiphone Zephyr Regent

Nice job, Martin! Here are some significant tunes I think would benefit the project:

All The Things You Are

Bei Mir Bist Du Schon

Honeysuckle Rose

It Dont Mean A Thing (If It Ain't Got That Swing)

Lulu Swing

Manoir De Mes Reves (Django's Castle)

Ma Premiere Guitare

Moonglow

September Song

What you've done is great, I feel bad adding to your workload!

rudolfochrist
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica

Honeysuckle rose, Manoir de mes reves, It don't mean a thing, Cou-cou, Tiger rag, Vamp, I got rhythm, Don't worry bout me, Ol' man river, You rascal you, Oiseaux des iles, Shine, Symphonie, What kind of friend, Chinatown, Yesterdays, La mer, Quelquefois (Pour que ma vie demeure), Mixture, Feerie, What a difference a day made, St james infirmary, Moonglow, Festival 48, Jersey bounce, New york city, Smoke rings, Ultrafox, Moppin' the bride, September song...

rudolfochrist
  • BillDaCostaWilliamsBillDaCostaWilliams Barreiro, Portugal✭✭✭ Mateos, Altamira M01F, Huttl

Martin, I hope your'e not regretting that you asked :-)

BucoAzazzellMartinGdjangology
  • bbwood_98bbwood_98 Brooklyn, NyProdigy Vladimir music! Les Effes. . Its the best!

Martin,

Obviously Django's version, but curious where you are getting changes for things that Django didn't record. . . As knowing your source material would be helpful (Ie. recording, date, rhythm player!) all that would be amazing to see.

Thanks,

Ben

djangology
  • MartinGMartinG MontréalNew Dupont

Thanks a lot to all of you for your suggestions ! I want to add a few important missing tunes in the days to come and publish it in about 2 weeks. All the other tunes that are not so common will be added later, because I don't want to do this much work in a short period of time (I know it will kill my motivation) but rather start the project as soon as possible, especially before Django in June where people will talk about it and I'll get interesting feedbacks from that.

I plan to add all the tunes that are typically gypsy jazz (like Paquito for example) and also the tunes played by Django, but not the ones that where not played by him and that you'll find in other "not gypsy jazz" playlists, like Donna Lee or All The Things You Are. For the tunes not played by Django, the "recent" ones like Made In France, Bossa Dorado etc... I always try to refer to the original recording. The chosen recording will always be indicated in the chart, at the bottom.

If you have more suggestions, please write them here :-)

rudolfochristbbwood_98BillDaCostaWilliamsgeese_comMikeKAzazzelljonpowlbillyshakes
  • pdgpdg ✭✭

Have you included "Please Be Kind"? A friend of mine thought it was Django's most moving song.

Buco