DjangoBooks.com

Pre amp advice

I’m sure this has been a topic before, but I have done some digging and figured I would ask for more advice.

I’ve decided to start the journey of using a mic. I’m this case the Audio technical pro 70. And yeah I’ve heard the horror stories of feedback and low volumes, but I’ve also seen success, so I figured I’d try it out, hopefully using it on my national resonator will drive the microphone better, but who knows.

anyways, I’m very new to this and would appreciate some recommendations on preamps. I will use a PA when I can and a fishman loudbox when I can’t. Anyone with experience with this mic that can offer some advice?

Comments

• TwangTwang New

You’ll find this interesting if you haven’t seen it already

I have a long time ago but looks like I need to revisit it!

What is your goal?

• edited May 2022 Posts: 4,736

My experience with a small condenser mic wasn't that bad. I used it for majority of gigs. You definitely need a preamp with phase invert feature and especially notch filter control, they're a must have to handle a feedback. LR Baggs Para DI or similar.

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • ChristopheCaringtonChristopheCarington San Francisco, CA USANew Dupont MD50, Stringphonic Favino, Altamira Chorus
    edited May 2022 Posts: 187

Honestly, I use it straight into a small 4-channel mixer when I'm playing rhythm guitar with one band, and straight into (with the battery pack) a Bose S1 Pro when I'm playing other gigs.

Pro-tip: Get a suction cup (unless you have French Polish finish) and a gooseneck adapter. This will allow you to mount the microphone to your guitar, and position the microphone just under the bridge of the guitar where the bridge and moustache meet. It's a pretty balanced sound, and is the most feedback resistant area I've found after trying it in multiple gigs. You can see/hear me using it here:

BillDaCostaWilliamsWillie
  • rudolfochristrudolfochrist Worms, GermanyNew Dupont MD-100

I use a Headway EDB-2 preamp with a DPA 4099 Core nowadays. For both guitar and double bass. I'm very happy with the sound I'm getting.

JDRooke
  • nomadgtrnomadgtr Colorado Bumgarner, Marin, Holo, Barault

DPA 4099 Core into a Grace Felix here. There are cheaper solutions however, so you don't need to drop that extra coin for the Felix necessarily. But it is an awesome preamp with fantastic eq.

• JDRookeJDRooke New
    edited May 2022 Posts: 87

I picked one of these Headways up this year because it has two channels and was reputed to sound good. I like to mix two sources and it has all the little knobs necessary to make that possible. Currently, I mostly mix my internally mounted piezo with a Kleio humbucker. Yes, I don't get the sound that I would if I pointed an SDC at it. But, with a few tweaks, I get a sound I like which minimizes the downsides of either sound source.

This also is a great option for anyone wanting to use a mic. You can mix it with a piezo or humbucker and dial up as much mic signal as you want. If the mic is feeding back, you can dial it down and rely more on the piezo or humbucker. Basically, it's like a built-in insurance policy that allows as much mic signal as possible without feeding back.

I've been fighting this battle for years and am finally satisfied with my setup. Also, to my ears, the Headway sounds great.

richter4208rudolfochrist