DjangoBooks.com

schertler/schertler vs. bigtone/aer

2»

Comments

• djadamdjadam Boulder, CONew
    This thread has piqued my interest, but more because of the subject line than what the subject turned out to be. I'd love to hear some opinions about the sound quality of a bigtone into an AER versus a Shertler pickup into a Shertler amp.

I've heard/played a few really nice guitars with bigtones plugged into a Compact 60, so at least I have a good idea of how that sounds. I think it sounds great, though maybe more big than natural, if that makes sense. If there's a more natural sounding setup out there, I'd like to know about it for my upcoming guitar purchase.
  • TenorClefTenorClef UKNew
    I like the Schertler Dyn-G on my Gitane 255and seen to get enough volume even with just my Marshall Acoustic Solutions 50 Watt amp. The other guys said it sounded really clear and came through the drums,double bass & tenor Sax combo really well.
    Currently-Gitane 250M
    Previously-Gitane 255
    Previously- Gitane D500
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    Hi all,

My gig tonight was the first I've played with my new David amp, and I had an experience a lot like Chuck's initial post...our lead player was playing through a Compact 60, I was through the David (Stat Line w/warm button) and his volume was amazing (we were both using Bigtones). With him set at about 11 o'clock, I had to be up around 1 or 2 o'clock just to play rhythm. I had enough volume, but it made me wonder about gigs in the future where I might be maxed out before he is.

I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that the David is a two speaker system (splitting the wattage), while the AER is just the one? It just seemed odd considering the thread we've just had about comparing the wattage of the two amps.

Other issues/explanations: The 'warm' button seems to bring down the volume, though the tonal difference is worth it. Also, I wasn't using an external preamp-should I? I think he had one going into the AER...

With all that said, I have NO complaints about the tone of the David-it was such a joy to hear my guitar again after so many gigs through bad PAs.

Best,
    Jack.
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Jack...make sure you have the "stat" button selected. Also, I've noticed the 10V phantom power button seems to make a difference in volume. If I remember correctly, if you have it selected it will cut some volume. Since you don't need it for a bigtone, you should have it off. But I could have it backwards...maybe I it gave a boost when it was selected. But I don't think so.

I've also noticed the warm button cuts a lot of volume. When you need to play super loud it's probably best to leave it off.

I use the more powerful Unico, and have gotten ear splitting volume with a bigtone. The David is less powerful, but you should still be able to get a lot of volume with it.

'm
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    I've also noticed the warm button cuts a lot of volume. When you need to play super loud it's probably best to leave it off.

Yeah, the warm button does cut a lot of volume-I guess what I'm wondering is this: if I need the extra volume and decide to turn off the warm button, what can I do to keep some of the tonal qualities the warm button provides? I don't have a lot of experience with acoustic amps...would a preamp help?
    I use the more powerful Unico, and have gotten ear splitting volume with a bigtone. The David is less powerful, but you should still be able to get a lot of volume with it.

Don't get me wrong, it still puts out a lot; I was only surprised when comparing it to the AER. Overall I'm really happy with it!

Best,
    Jack.
    Jack wrote:

Yeah, the warm button does cut a lot of volume-I guess what I'm wondering is this: if I need the extra volume and decide to turn off the warm button, what can I do to keep some of the tonal qualities the warm button provides? I don't have a lot of experience with acoustic amps...would a preamp help?

Maybe just roll some highs off.... a pre amp might help. Although I didn't find it necessary when using the Bigtone via my Unico. But a pre amp will also give you more gain, hence more volume. Might be worth trying.

It's also worth mentioning that the new Bigtones sound a lot better then the old ones. I've found that the newer bigtones don't require the "warm" button to sound good. Actually, I don't use it because it mutes the sound too much. But the old bigtones are so harsh that the warm button is essential.
  • MontereyJacquesMontereyJacques ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011 Posts: 81
    I'll tell you a combination that I've had no luck with and that is... the Schertler DYN-G and an AER C-60. Even with a Baggs pre-amp it sounds too mid-rangy in live applications.

Yeah...that's a bad combo. Jorgenson told me he got it to work. But for most people it sounds pretty bad. As I've mentioned earlier, the AER seems to have some radical EQ built in that makes peizoes sound good. But something a little more natural like the DYN gets really mangled. The DYN sounds great through most other amps and PA systems as well.

I haven't tried a shatten...a pretty famous local guy in Seattle tried it and told me that it killed the acoustic sound on his guitar so he took it out. Not sure if it was a bad install or what. The guy who installed it is the most respected repair man in Seattle, so I think he probably got it as good as possible. It might be a good option for a guitar used mostly for amplified playing. The muted acoustic sound could actually help reduce feedback.