DjangoBooks.com

slow backing tracks

TwangTwang New
in Classifieds Posts: 411

Anybody tell me a good place to find some quality backing tracks with slower tempos. All the ones I use are recorded at approx 160bpm minimum. If I use the speed option then they start to sound rubbish and are not much fun to play along with. I already have ireal pro btw

Thanks

Comments

I sometimes convert the YT backing tracks into mp3s to use with Amazing Slow Downer. It's doing...well, amazing job at keeping sound quality while slowing down the tempo, best I've heard. Or I import the YT video into the Soundslice, creating a "slice". Doesn't preserve the quality as good as ASD but it's good enough. Much better than what's built-in the YT by default. Or I've been using Dennis' site a lot lately, he has variety of tempos, usually 3 per song, and using the Soundslice to slow it down if needed.

billyshakesTwangBillDaCostaWilliams
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica

Buco, I'm surprised to hear slowing down in Soundslice would work any better than what's built-in to YT.

Thought Soundslice would actually just be using the YouTube API for this, so the results should be the same (Adrian will correct me if I'm wrong)..

richter4208
  • vanmalmsteenvanmalmsteen Diamond Springs ,CANew Latch Drom F, Eastman DM2v, Altamira m30d , Altimira Mod M

I just use YouTube, there is a feature to slow it down or speed it up.

Making it too slow definitely degrades the quality

rudolfochrist
  • pdgpdg ✭✭

How do you use Amazing Slow Downer (audio) on the audio portion of youtubes?

@Wim Glenn you got me worried...I was confident in that there was a clear difference. I'll compare, hopefully I'm not slowdowner tone deaf.

I compared, to me Soundslice does a better job than YT. At 50% YT turns into noodles while Soundslice stays straighter sounding. Hopefully it's not all in my head only.

@pdg there are websites that will convert YT format video into audio only mp3 file. But tonight I was going to try to use VLC player to do that (it's supposed to be able and these websites are notorious for pushing spamware) and fell into a rabbit hole trying to figure out why it wasn't doing what I thought it should have. Then once I have the mp3 file on the phone I just use the ASD to open it locally. This whole conversion process is why I often just create a "slice" even though I think ASD does even a better job with slower than slow.

• AzazzellAzazzell CanadaNew
    edited March 2022 Posts: 174

The Soundslice slow down works really well if you upload an MP3 to the slice and use their "enhanced slowdown". But not so well if you upload a video file or link to a Youtube video. https://www.soundslice.com/blog/199/introducing-enhanced-slowdown-and-perfect-looping/

If you've got an MP3, Audacity (free) or Reaper (kinda free) can also do a very good job at slowing it down.

Bucowim

That pretty much answers that they use their own algorithm to slow down the tempo. Good to know, importing any kind of file is only for paid accounts but I'll try it out.

Today, the process of converting the YT video into an audio file only worked with the VLC player but you have to first save the video on the PC and then convert to mp3. Process is still quick, @pdg if you're interested I'll write you the instructions.

• Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator

Four words… Band. In. A. Box.

Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • AzazzellAzazzell CanadaNew
    edited March 2022 Posts: 174

Wow, that's quite an expensive product.

1. Which one of the options would be best for gypsy Jazz ?
    2. Do you need at least the UltraPak to get all of the gypsy jazz stuff?

https://www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.packages.htm

These seem to be the gypsy jazz styles for the options:

- Pro:

• Gypsy Jazz Fast w/ Conga (_GYPSYCN) Demo
    • Gypsy Jazz Fast (_GYPSYJF) Demo

- MegaPak:

• D'accord Gypsy Jazz w Accordion (_DACCORD)Demo
    • La Fumee Gypsy Jazz w Accordion (_LAFUMEE)Demo
    • Gypsy Jazz Fast w/ Fiddle Solo (_GJFFIDS) Demo
    • Gypsy Jazz w/ Sax Solo (_GPSYSAX) Demo
    • Gypsy Jazz Fast w/ Conga (_GYPSYCN) Demo
    • Gypsy Jazz Fast w/ Fiddle Solo (_GYPSYFS) Demo