DjangoBooks.com

New guy from Los Angeles

SwedeinLASwedeinLA New
in Welcome Posts: 42

Hey folks. My name is Stefan, from Sweden originally but have lived in Los Angeles for decades. Lifelong guitar player, mainly jazz and rock. Always loved the sound of gypsy jazz, and recently decided to have a go at it. Learning a new right hand technique is not easy to get in to the system. My technique has always been a combination of legato, hybrid picking and sweep picking. So the descending patterns I will be able to handle at some point but those double downs on the ascending...BRUTAL...hahah.

Anyways. I am sure this question has been asked a gazzilion of times and for that I apologize.

I am looking at a guitar. I have many guitars including a jazz box, but want to get a full on gypsy guitar.

I have my eyes on a Gitane D-255 ( that I wont be able to test) and besides that I am considering a cigano Gj-10. I am mainly interested in the oval (lead) style guitar.

Feel free to have any input. Also.....I called about a dozen music stores in LA today, and NO ONE, has stuff in stock to be able to try out. McCabes in Santa Monica was the only one and they had an Eastman MD-1

Grateful for your replys.

Stefan

Comments

• B25GibB25Gib Bremerton WA✭✭✭✭ Holo Busato, Dell'Arte Hommage, Gitane D-500, Eastman AR805

Hi Stefan - The Gitane 255 series and 250 and 250m models sound somewhat "wet" with shimmering overtones that are not as "dry" sounding typical of the style. Two other friends and I sold them after awhile. A player friend in our band had a borrowed Cigano Gj-10 that was very playable, dry enough and sounded very good! The new one listed on this website has a 10th fret dot marker though. I would favor the Cigano.

Good Luck, Rocky

wimSwedeinLA

Look at the classifieds here, there's always something for sale at a good price. Welcome.

SwedeinLA
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • SwedeinLASwedeinLA New

Thanks guys. I appreciate the help. Glad to be here and to start learning from you guys.

• jonpowljonpowl Hercules, CA✭✭✭ Dupont MD-100, Altamira M01F
    edited February 2022 Posts: 705

Welcome aboard Stefan! I used to own a Gitane 255 and currently own a Cigano GJ-10. While the Gitane was beautifully constructed, it did have an annoying echo (wetness). I tried a Paris Swing after the Gitane and it sounded more authentic, but wasn't very loud. I bought a Dupont MD-100 after I sold the Paris Swing, and of course it is a wonderful guitar in sound and appearance. I picked up the used Cigano as a 2nd guitar and I have kept it around for years. I can't say it sounds incredible, but it sounds pretty nice for the $$ I paid for it. Most importantly, it lacks the wetness of the Gitane. I also own, and highly recommend, an Altamira guitar. I bought a used M01F (F holes, cedar top) and it is like a piece of art to look at, and sounds very LOUD and authentic. You can buy an Altamira M for around $800 new, and it will be a professional quality guitar, suitable for gigs. I think the Eastman GJ guitars are pretty well made, as well.

rudolfochristBillDaCostaWilliamsSwedeinLA
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator

Welcome, Stefan.

Good luck buying your first GJ guitar.

You are kind of lucky because this is actually a golden age of gypsy guitars.

For inexpensive factory-made beginner models, top of the line luthier-built guitars, and everything in between.

I urge you to go as big as the budget will allow!

Will

BucoSwedeinLA
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • SwedeinLASwedeinLA New

Thank you Will......Finding the right guitar will be the easy aspect of this whole thing...that picking technique though......Jeez...hehehe

• billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E
    edited February 2022 Posts: 1,302

@SwedeinLA , not sure if you've found this old thread, but here's one on jams in the LA area. Maybe gives you an idea for some of the board members that are out in your area. It also has the good recommendation to check out Gonzalo Bergara (https://www.gonzalobergara.com/), who could be a good teaching resource for you. Good luck and welcome!

• SwedeinLASwedeinLA New

Thanks Billy. Much appreciated. Something to keep in mind for sure. Right now I would rate myself a complete and utter beginner. But practice makes perfect...or at least better:)

No worries, in six years it'll be a second nature.

billyshakesLango-Django
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel