DjangoBooks.com

Jack Soref's Django in June 2022 Standards Videos Vol2

edited March 2022 in Repertoire Posts: 4,732

Many of you have received a good news from Andrew announcing the return of Django in June next year. Part of the email talked about Jack's new video series based on the tunes that will be a part of standards Vol 2 Django in June package. I'll be posting Jack's videos here, with his approval, to help with traffic and spreading the word. Below is copied from Andrew's email that talks about these videos and the video below that...

New Monthly Video Series from Jack Soref

Over the course of the next 8 months, the intrepid Jack Soref will be preparing a second (10 song) volume of Gypsy Jazz Standards for Django in June. To make it easier for you to absorb the material, he’ll be releasing at least one tune a month starting...now!

Each packet of material will include:

a video lesson geared toward Level 1 and 2 learners;

a lead sheet and (sometimes) other written materials;

and links to recommended performances of the tune.

First up: I Found A New Baby. Jack's focus in this lesson is on melodic interpretation, with illustrations from Ethel Waters, Frank "Big Boy" Goudie and Bireli Lagrene. You'll find that lesson on this page of the website. Links to all the support materials are in the description below the video.

There's no charge for the series, but there is a Donate button you can use to express your gratitude to Jack in a language artists everywhere understand, but rarely hear.

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
billyshakesPassacagliarudolfochristBonesBillDaCostaWilliamsDjangheureux

Comments

He did a super nice job comparing various embellishments to melody. Taking small liberties with the written melody is nice. Django was so good with that, it's like he was always very mindful that whatever he added will enhance what's already there. I'm bothered when a player or a singer changes the melody to the point you can't recognize what's being played any more. What's the point at that point? I think it was Howard Alden who gripped about that same thing saying "what's wrong with just playing the melody?".

billyshakesWillieDjangheureux
  • billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

Nice picture. It is good to be new!

Buco
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator

I'm bothered when a player or a singer changes the melody to the point you can't recognize what's being played any more. What's the point at that point?

Totally agree. I’m a big fan of Ethel Waters, and girl singers today could learn a lot her marvellous style.

First chorus… stay very close to the melody with just a few occasional variations

Subsequent choruses… use the original lyrics, but go nuts with wonderful melodic improvisations.

However…

“Dooby dooby dooby dooby… “ annoying scat singing—- is allowed ONLY for Ella Fitzgerald… and alas she is dead!

Will

Buco
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."

And, annoying humming your solos completely out of tune is only allowed for Monk. Alas...

billyshakes

You know I'm digging the hat... what's old is new.

Buco

Jack has been busy posting to prepare us all for the epic upcoming Django In June.

First Exactly Like You

Double Whiskey

Swing Gitan

More videos on his channel with lessons from Jason Anick and Dallas Vietty, check it out.

With his long hair, Jack is starting to look more like Brad Delp from Boston!

Bucowim

That's actually a pretty good likeness!

billyshakes