DjangoBooks.com

First Fret Necessary? Does it make a difference in sound or playability without it?

Comments

• guitarmikeguitarmike Montreal, Quebec✭✭ Old French Gypsy Guitar

Also, about the zéro fret : The aim with a zero fret is to please players by making the tone of open strings more like that of fretted notes.

• BonesBones Moderator
    edited October 2021 Posts: 3,319

2mm is .08". No way the finish is that thick so that is not all that is going on here.

ChrisMartin
  • ChrisMartinChrisMartin Shellharbour NSW Australia✭✭ Di Mauro x2, Petrarca, Genovesi, Burns, Kremona Zornitsa & Paul Beuscher resonator.

Exactly as I said. So what did you think of my previous post then? Could removing the lacquer have allowed it to sink?

• BonesBones Moderator

No the finish doesn't change the stiffness that much. Maybe dried out. Keep it at around 50% RH?

• BonesBones Moderator

Well, or scarier thought, when they removed the finish did they sand the top too thin???

ChrisMartin
  • ChrisMartinChrisMartin Shellharbour NSW Australia✭✭ Di Mauro x2, Petrarca, Genovesi, Burns, Kremona Zornitsa & Paul Beuscher resonator.

Could be that too. As I still think, losing 2mm bridge height, (so 2mm off the top ?) wherever it went seems extreme to say the least.

• BonesBones Moderator

Chris, maybe a combo of finish/wood/flexing? 2mm seems like a lot but maybe the bridge was also too low to begin with? Could be a combo of a few things

• bohemewarblerbohemewarbler St. Louis, MO✭✭✭✭ Jordan Wencek No.26, Altamira M01D-12 fret

Yes, the bridge was low to begin with. On this guitar, that's how I like it. Here are some photos. It plays and sounds great. Looks pretty cool, too.

BucowimWilliebillyshakesBillDaCostaWilliamsBones

Looks totally gorgeous.

Are those shims under the bridge?

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • bohemewarblerbohemewarbler St. Louis, MO✭✭✭✭ Jordan Wencek No.26, Altamira M01D-12 fret
    edited October 2021 Posts: 243

Yes, I have 1x2 ebony shims on both ends. In actuality, it appears I brought it up about 1 mm from original to get it to where it was before it was stripped and refinshed The Low E is about 2.5 on the 12, High E is 2.25. I replaced the tuners with open style tuners, sanded off the Altamira logo on the headstock, I replaced the plastic black felt with red leather felt. I have an old style plain brass tailpiece ready for it, but the holes are a bit off kilter from the holes in the guitar, so decided for now not to mess with it.