DjangoBooks.com

Gig book

sbrigersbriger New
in Repertoire Posts: 15

Hey, just getting back into the music. I see that I missed Nolan’s gig book. Any chance that it’ll get reprinted? Sounds like it was a pretty great fake book.

djangology

Comments

• jonpowljonpowl Hercules, CA✭✭✭ Dupont MD-100, Altamira M01F

iReal Pro offers 61 Robin Nolan style charts without melodies. The Gig Book offers around 76 songs with melodies. As much as Robin promotes workshops, song books, and other products, it seems strange that the Gig Book isn't available. There must be some licensing difficulties, perhaps with Paul Meader who worked with Robin compiling the Gig Book. I use my copy several times weekly.

sbriger
  • djangologydjangology Portland, OregonModerator
    edited October 2021 Posts: 1,018

I'd say the best single gypsy jazz book ever printed. I doubt it will ever get reprinted.

The "Gig Book" had 17 songs that the original books didn't have and the original books have 17 songs the Gig Book does not have.

I notice someone sold a bootleg: https://www.ebay.com/itm/334163980878?hash=item4dcdb9b24e:g:1gUAAOSwoB1hU4lA Not cool.

sbrigerjonpowl
  • sbrigersbriger New

I didn’t realIze you can print out the charts from iReal. That’s a great suggestion, thank you!

• sbrigersbriger New

That’s nuts someone is selling a bootleg copy.

djangology
  • jonpowljonpowl Hercules, CA✭✭✭ Dupont MD-100, Altamira M01F

Another great resource is the Django in June Compilation Book which has 60+ songs, notation and tabs. I don't see it on the Django in June web site, but I can send it to you if you like. There is a 24 Jazz Standards doc available at https://djangoinjune.com/get-ready/

BucoWilliedjangology
  • sbrigersbriger New

Ah thanks. That looks great. I wish they all got on one page but otherwise looks like a very useful collection.

• TwangTwang New

A lot of the value in the Nolan gig book is that it's just a lovely thing to own. It was designed to take a hard life and be fit for purpose. So Its very compact with everything you need in it. The pages are quite thick and the covers and binder are super heavy duty. The illustrations are fabulous too. It's of the style and quality of everything Robin was putting out at that time.

Chords/progressions might be a bit modern for some but that's not an issue.

• TwangTwang New

It was about £50 20 years ago so a re-issue of the same quality would be a lot.

• StringswingerStringswinger Santa Cruz and San Francisco, CA✭✭✭✭ 1993 Dupont MD-20, Shelley Park Encore

I bought my gig book from Robin many years ago and it looks just like the one in that ebay auction, so I do not think Jon is correct about that one being a bootleg. It is a good book and served me well in the beginning of my Gypsy jazz journey. I do not want to sell mine, sorry if anyone is looking for one.

My guess is that bootlegging in the form of free PDF downloads has made reprinting this a poor business idea, otherwise I am sure that Robin would still be selling this, as Robin is a very savvy businessman.

billyshakesdjangology
    "When the chord changes, you should change" Joe Pass