DjangoBooks.com

Meet Our Guitar Tech: John Saba

imageMeet Our Guitar Tech: John Saba

With over 20 years of experience working on Gypsy guitars, no one gets it done better than John!

Read the full story here

billyshakesBucovanmalmsteenWillieBillDaCostaWilliamsjonpowlmac63000KlausUS

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator

And it goes without saying, we're soooo lucky to have him!

mac63000
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 4,730

That's wonderful. I was a Mudhoney fan for a while, a part of Seattle scene that was somewhat off the radar but well worth paying attention to, along with Tad. It's just very cool John's got such wide ranging clientele.

MichaelHorowitzvanmalmsteen
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

Tad were like the Anvil of the Seattle scene. Add the fact that the labels were probably just not geared to push a heavyset dude's band on record store shelves, especially when just a year or so prior it was all girls in bikinis and teased hair. Great music, though.

I liked how Ace Frehley was just a minor footnote, the last in a list of great musicians. Did the link to the Cobain article mean to imply that John was responsible for modding Cobain's Martin with the Bartolini?

Buco

Did the link to the Cobain article mean to imply that John was responsible for modding Cobain's Martin with the Bartolini?

@billyshakes yes, John worked on Kurt Cobain's Martin that was auctioned off for $6mil!

billyshakes

Yes I remember that auction! Full price of 6.010.000 but 10.000 isn't even worth a mention lol

MichaelHorowitz
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • pdgpdg ✭✭

I would have preferred a Stradivarius (or two).

Buco
  • mac63000mac63000 Tacoma, WANew Geronimo Mateos Jazz B

Hey there, been out of this scene for a while (a new child really shifts life's focus!) but just popped back in and thrilled to see this. A few years back, John re-set up my guitar and got it back in shape after some seasonal shifts caused some horrific truss rod rattling. He put on a lower bridge for me as well. Couldn't recommend his work enough!

vanmalmsteenBillDaCostaWilliamsMichaelHorowitz
  • mac63000mac63000 Tacoma, WANew Geronimo Mateos Jazz B

Also, the article states that Seattle had the biggest gypsy jazz scene... Where the heck did everyone go?!

@mac63000 still does have a lot of players, but "big" is a relative term as most places have no one...

mac63000
  • GouchGouch FennarioNew ALD Originale D, Zentech Proto, ‘50 D28

Truss rod rattling? How was that solved?

(Apocryphal, but I’ve heard injecting beeswax into the channel works well. Haven’t done it)