DjangoBooks.com

Hot Club Djangobooks instrumentation

Comments

Fun song as in bouncy, catchy melody and fun to play.

It's not Serbo-Croatian (that's remnant from the days past, Yugoslavia, today it's either/or, or Bosnian or Montenegrin or any of the Yugoslav republics...) and I can't tell what language it's written in. I just asked a friend who might know. Lot of words are close enough to where I might make a guess but not close enough so I wouldn't dare doing so.

My feeling is this is vocals centric song. Maybe a solo by a violin and/or clarinet. It would be easier to start and end in time. If going rubato, what I think would work is recording vocals first and then have a guitar and again violin, clarinet doing fills.

I was trying to figure out the voicings from that chart and its main point in majority of chords is just to move the bass. Instead of G dim I played C# dim. The bass line makes more sense and it's the same chord in theory.

While in J'attendrai I hear a wall of guitars, Duj is the opposite, fills like the work of a smaller ensemble.

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • WillieWillie HamburgNew
    edited September 2021 Posts: 825

@Buco

Some words reminded me of words in songs from former Yugoslavia, so I thought it might be some slang from there. But other words seem to be polish or czech. I don't speak any of them; when I sang songs of eastern or southeastern origin, I had help by friends and collegues who spoke the languages.

Apparently a part of it is in Slovakian and talks about not going to the city because the narrator might be thrown in the jail and the kids will then go hungry.

Willie
  • PapsPierPapsPier ✭✭

What version of Dui dui are you referring to? The ones sang usually by players of the gj style (as posted on the other post Titi, Tcha, Schnuckenack) are in Romani and are a simple love song if I am not too wrong

rudolfochristBuco
  • MikeKMikeK Asheville, NCNew Altamira M-10, Epiphone Zephyr Regent

Buco--if we end up doing J'Attendrai, I'm down for a solo, wherever you need me. "Put me in, coach".

Buco

@PapsPier yes, the other verses the same guy said similar to what you said, third verse he said was in Slovak.

@MikeK looks like we're going to record both so yeah, have at it.

MikeKPapsPier
  • gitane007gitane007 IrelandNew

Hi There , thanks for the inclusion !!.............J'attendrai sounds good , i'd be up for a solo on that with the Guitar. Never heard that "Duj" tune so will take a look tonight , and yeah if its doable I'll give it a go on the fiddle.

WillieBuco
  • edited September 2021 Posts: 4,738

@gitane007

Could you learn this on violin but a bit faster, around 140 I'd imagine (I couldn't play it faster cleanly at this point)? We can try this as an intro and solos section. I already have a version that's just a couple of notes different than what's here but that's the gist.

PS I have a new version that I like a lot more

But if you want to change it and do something your own, that's fine too, I'll send the chords.

Willie
  • MikeKMikeK Asheville, NCNew Altamira M-10, Epiphone Zephyr Regent

If no one minds, I'd love to do my solo on J'Attendrai on my archtop. I've been curious about what the forum thinks of my archtop tone anyway, no better way to find out than to include it in the group song.

BucobillyshakesWillieAndyW
  • morriconemorricone Asterstein, Koblenz, GermanyNew Cigano GJ10 Harley Benton HBMC 500