DjangoBooks.com

looking for gypsy

DeziDezi New
edited August 2006 in Welcome Posts: 15
Are anybody from this forum gypsy? San Rom ?

Comments

• dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
  • DeziDezi New
    na som sinto me som czech rom. Not sure if you get it. Dennis you are friend of Ritary right.You already speak sinti? Their language a little distinguish from my. But maybe try to write something if I could understand. Aves bachtalo.
    ava, Ritary hi mo neboudo :lol: binjro nina lesre familia ...

me spielro guitarra har y dougles y mintsch
    :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: hai ve?

ham kino, djo mangue! dik ga men spetar! gud nacht!
  • DeziDezi New
    OK I dont get words neboudo and dougles

me spielro guitarra har y dougles y mintsch

me bashavav guitara sar a ? mintch.

That's in my language. As I know sinti use lot of German words.There is in yours post couple too .But it's make lot difficult because wee don't have official spelling. Tro neboudo Ritary bashave latches pe guitara. Latcho rat.
  • billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E
    Hi fellas,

How does one go about learning either Sinti or Roma. As mentioned, there aren't any official spellings. I haven't found any official programs or such like other languages.

I was able to follow some of your post as I recognized context and similar terms. I suppose meeting and speaking with a native speaker would be the only other way. (I did learn a few terms from a guy named Tchavo at a campsite on the Chiemsee this summer...like "ava" which I recognized in your post.

Anyway, thanks for any pointers you might have.
    bill
  • BarengeroBarengero Auda CityProdigy
    Hi fellas,

How does one go about learning either Sinti or Roma.

Hi Bill,
    I think this will help a lot:

http://romani.uni-graz.at/romani/downlo ... r_ab7a.pdf

Viel Vergnügen damit!

Best,
    Barengero
  • billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E
    Barengero,

Thanks for the link. That is quite an academic piece of work that someone did. I'll have to brush up on my German!

Bill
    wow that link is really cool! but it doesnt' look like sinti, though i recognize a few words here and there.

i don't really speak it... i just picked up what i was hearing on a day to day basis so i know how to express most of the basic stuff... .. of course i was taught a few other things hehehehe :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

i basically know enough to understand the basic meaning of a song when it's sung in romnes... but there are certain words that always escape me... and not every sinto speak it fluently either.. since it isn't taught at school, for the young generation (at least in france) most sinti's vocabulary is more or less limited to what they learned at home with the parents and uncles/aunts.... if you asked them to translate some tunes , they wouldn't be able to translate certain words.... the ones who probably speak it best are the old school gypsies (Bireli).... again .. at least in france from what i gather...

dezi:
    neboudo = cousin
    dougles = female dog
  • BarengeroBarengero Auda CityProdigy
    dennis wrote:
    wow that link is really cool! but it doesnt' look like sinti, though i recognize a few words here and there.

Hi Dennis,

please keep in mind that this dictionary is from Austria - so may be that a lot of the items have an "eastern touch"
    dennis wrote:
    i basically know enough to understand the basic meaning of a song when it's sung in romnes...

It would be cool if somebody could post some lyrics in romanes here (including a translation). For example: I am looking for the lyrics of the song which is in german "Bei dir war es immer so schön". In romanes the song is called "Pasch tutte" and it begins with something like "Du dschal langs mande buda berscha…"

It would be great to have some other lyrics like:
    - Aven pasch mende
    - O welto
    - O letschto Gurko
    - Bonjour Schnuckenack
    - Wenn mo tikno Tschabo rowella
    - Paboll paboll
    - Rigo Rigo
    - Kell mu Tschai
    - An diri mussi daus gern suni
    - Me hum matto
    - Fuli Tschai
    - Kell leila kell un muk de dschal
    - Me rodum miro tschabo
    - We du doch mit mansa ab i raisa
    - Mer ham bansch baschabangere
    - Tschai hop tschai am doch gei
    - "Rutschi som" (Häns´che Weiß) = Rutschiok
    - Mari gili biste ga

If we have some native speakers of romanes in this forum, it would be really great if you give some advice!

Best,
    Barengero
    i dont know many sinti songs, to be honest, i'm more of a jazz fan than the whole gypsy thing...

of the songs in your list, i've only heard "o welto" from moreno and "o letchto gurko" from moreno as well...

i have a bunch of schnuckenack cds that i never lsiten to i'll bet i'll find the rest of those tunes in that collection!

from memory,

"o welto " is about God and music and the gypsy life...

welto means: world...

all i remember is the first sentence

"o welto tu hal choukar".... the world , you are beautiful

and there's another line that i remember:

"mo latcho baro devel tu hal y lichta voun o welto, oun me hum o sinto, o baschepen hi mo djiben"

my good God (baro devel is god, which literally translated means "big god "), you are the light of the world, and to me the gypsy, playing is my life..."

the rest i understand words and the general meaning but there's always a word or two in each sentence that i don't know... i also remember the end of song he says: "kake hi mo djiben" which means "this is my life" .. kake means "there you have it" like "voila" in french... hi mo djiben - it is my life

o letchto gurko .. means the last sunday...

o letchto gurko, kai me ki tamfe touke... kai me baschramfe touke , o letchto moll

the last sunday, where i sang for you, where i played for you, the last time...

kana vela ko ziro, kai djas ap -- dunno what moreno says here---

when the time comes, for us to go "something something"

mit maro wago maro grai - with my caravan my horse

ava tou hal ne kai - but you are not there.... (ava means yes but i think can be used as "but" )

o "something" ras me love ... "something ate my money"
    o "something" ras me sonnekai ... "something ate my gold"

maro "something"
    maro wago maro grai - our caravan, our horse
    ava tou hal ne kai - but you are not there....

---
    that's the extent of my knowledge of the language... i m generally good with picking up things like languages.. i bet if i spent a year with a gypsy family, i could get pretty good at it

like i said though, (at least in france), most new generation gypsies (under hte age of 30) will not be able to translate these tunes.... i've asked some to help out with the parts i couldn't figure out in those two tunes, and they were as clueless as me... it's the old generation that seem to speak it best...