DjangoBooks.com

Django sometimes used fingerpicking, right?

Like "Tears" or "Improvisation No.2" for instance.

(Chord notes are sounded simultaneously -indicative of the use of right hand fingers as opposed to plectrum)

This is something I've been trying to find corroboration on for ages but I can never find anyone talking about it.

Or even a mention of it anywhere..

Is it something that is "known" among the community of guitarists? - is it the case, even? - or am I wrong?

I wondered if anyone might have a link to somewhere that discusses this question in some depth??

Comments

• bluemovesbluemoves New

also sounds like he's using some sort of rasgueado abanico at 2:10 here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeZqVuH6QoE

which would seem to suggest he isn't 'hybrid' picking with a pick between thumb and first finger.

wim
  • vanmalmsteenvanmalmsteen Diamond Springs ,CANew Latch Drom F, Eastman DM2v, Altamira m30d , Altimira Mod M

I’ve seen pictures where he is playing with no pick. Never in a group situation of course, with the volume discrepancy I can see why that would be a problem

Judging by Stephane Wrembel's meticulously transcribed solo works he did.

vanmalmsteenJSanta
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • Teddy DupontTeddy Dupont Deity

He definitely did. Off hand, I can think of “Improvisation No2”, the first version of “Tears”, “Naguine” and “Tea for Two”. They may be others I have missed. He also used “finger picking” briefly on other recordings for effect.

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator

It also sounds like he's using his fingers on the intro chords for Imrpov #3 and the intro for I'll See You in My Dreams.

richter4208

also interesting is that I remember once seeing a a photo where you could see his right hand clearly enough to notice he kept his finger nails long enough that could potentially being using them to finger pick, also in many photos he’s playing without a pick, obviously most of those were just poses but it’s interesting that he almost always holds the same hand position, floating wrist, but much straighter than classical posture, positioned so it seems he used all of his fingers which sounds right based on the recordings.

• Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • MatteoMatteo Sweden✭✭✭✭ JWC Modele Jazz, Lottonen "Selmer-Maccaferri"
    edited July 2021 Posts: 393

And towards the end of Improvisation nr 3, both part 1 and part 2. Also, the theme in Oriental Shuffle. Here I suspect he might have used the pick and two fingers to have the pick ready for the improvised phrases in the last two bars of the "A" parts, particularly the very fast phrase in bars 7 and 8.

MichaelHorowitz
  • MondoslugMondoslug New

You would think pick and fingers at least on some of the stuff…Django authority that I am not.