DjangoBooks.com

Finally got in the game - bought a guitar. Added some very brief video.

Random thoughts -

Manouche Latcho Drom(Altamira)

Nice looking guitar, this is only the second GJ guitar I've ever played so uhhhhh limited experience is an understatement. First being an Eastman which didn't knock me out, the strings were spent though. I don't know what I'm expecting. I'd love to play a ‘great’ one so I know what that's supposed to sound like. Snob that I am, laminated acoustic guitars aren’t anything I sought out in the past but hey, this is what they are.

I suppose like all players who have spent a lifetime looking for and playing what they thought were beautiful sounding acoustic guitars...this takes a little getting used to. :) Action's a little high but they're 10s for crying out loud, I can deal with it. Although by GJ standards it's probably actually low. An extra lower bridge came with it so I'll check that out with 11s or a combination of both soon enough. The intonation on it is very good though. No issue with the tuners. It's not buzzy, doesn't rattle & it’s loud. I believe the guitar's been in storage for some years & I'd be surprised if it's been tuned up to pitch for very long at all so I'm assuming the sound will change for the 'better' over some time. The wife's cousin has the same guitar but 14 fret D hole which I remember liking a lot...probably because it was pretty open sounding to the player which I don't have an issue with :) So I’m already looking for something like that.

Anyway, NGD is always fun and it’s causing me to actually practice more, down strokes changing strings, rest strokes, Minor 6 arp stuff, which honestly never spent much time with before…so all good! In general maybe a different slant on playing over changes, etc. Thanks for listening! 😊

BillDaCostaWilliamsBucoJSantavanmalmsteenScoredogVebjørnrudolfochristbillyshakes

Comments

• vanmalmsteenvanmalmsteen Diamond Springs ,CANew Latch Drom F, Eastman DM2v, Altamira m30d , Altimira Mod M

Congrats! That’s an excellent first GJ guitar

Mondoslug
  • MondoslugMondoslug New

Thanks vanmalmsteen, good to hear!

• ScoredogScoredog Santa Barbara, Ca✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2021 Posts: 872

I remember that guitar sounds like a Gypsy Jazz Guitar so you are in the game....:)

Simple thing to remember as this works the same way with other guitars, when somebody else is playing it it will sound like them, you really won't hear a huge difference when they play another guitar, the difference is the experience when you play, though it usually won't be evident to most people listening. Kind of like when a great player plays a 62 Strat or a squire , you just hear the player, but if you are the great Mondoslug then when you play the experience is different.

vanmalmsteenMondoslug
  • TwangTwang New

“The Great Mondoslug” How can you fail with that stage name!

BucoMondoslugLango-Django

My attitude towards laminates changed because of the guitars used in this genre. I learned that laminate is just like anything else, it can be good, great, so so or junk. Both in esthetics and sound. Look at AJL site, all laminated sides and backs. Pressed together by Ari himself of course

I have a feeling you won't stay with latcho drom for long though.

Mondoslug
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • TwangTwang New

Well not if you keep showing him pictures of AJL’s Buco! 😂

BucovanmalmsteenwimrudolfochristMondoslugbillyshakesVebjørn
  • MondoslugMondoslug New
    edited July 2021 Posts: 34

😎:) Thanks y'all for checking in and sharing!

• MondoslugMondoslug New
    edited July 2021 Posts: 34

This one time at Band Camp….

On my third day I put on the extra lower bridge, buzzed like a biatch. It came with some nifty shims so I ended up adding two on each side, very close, still too low on the bass side(for my taste) but the trebles were pretty fun. Yeah, so like anything else, the set up is key.

It came with John Pearse 10s on it and I wanted to try Savarez 10s to go 10s straight up against 10s even though I realize the tension is different between the two. Gruhns only has 11s but I bought them & put them on. YES! I’ve been using their basses, hacking away on classical for years and they sound good here. Similar feel I think.

So yeah, I gotta get some Savarez 10s to try but I’m happier with the tone of the thing then I was a few days ago.

Newbie out...

AndyWBillDaCostaWilliamsScoredogWillieJSanta
  • MondoslugMondoslug New

Me, me, me, meeeee……continued.

The Argentine 10s arrived, so put them on with the original taller bridge. Likin’ this. The guitar is vibrant, punchy, not buzzing, not quite the depth of the 11’s s perhaps...but it’s fun to play! I might experiment changing out the E & B but I don’t think I want to lose the 14 on the B string, like the way that bends. 😊 But that's today.

BucoWillieTwangScoredogrudolfochristAndyW

Looking forward to hearing some music with it.

Mondoslug
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel