DjangoBooks.com

Silencing Acoustic Guitar For Quiet Practice?

124»

Comments

• BillDaCostaWilliamsBillDaCostaWilliams Barreiro, Portugal✭✭✭ Mateos, Altamira M01F, Huttl

I rolled up a couple of tissues and slipped the tissue tube under the strings, et voila:

Leonel Louke has been using a similar technique for some years to produce a kora effect from his guitar.

Here he talks about  his version of Naima (though actually I’ve heard him doing it more obviously on other stuff)

“you hear me mimicking both the kora and kalimba in the piece. To do that, I use a rectangular piece of paper that’s two inches by one inch and weave it up and down through all six strings next to the bridge and then mute on top of it. When I play with open strings, they vibrate against the paper to give me that ringing, percussive kora or kalimba sound.”

• juandererjuanderer New ALD Original, Manouche Latcho Drom Djangology Koa, Caro y Topete AR 740 O

Will single-ply work? Asking for a friend...

BillDaCostaWilliamsbillyshakes
  • BonesBones Moderator

Hey Wim. Cheeto-man is ready to woodshed on Air Force One.

• Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator

Wow, great idea, Chiefbigeasy!

I am using it on my banjo and it works great!

Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • ChiefbigeasyChiefbigeasy New Orleans, LA✭✭✭ Dupont MDC 50; The Loar LH6, AJL Silent Guitar

I knew you guys were going to have a field day with this. (I'm surprised nobody suggested it looked like a tampon or the like. Hey, that gives me an idea.)

It is, in fact, a couple of kleenex tissues folded and rolled up and slipped under the strings. And, you know what, it's the best sounding workable, adjustable mute I have used so far.

This is from somebody who was seriously thinking of buying that AJL silent guitar and who actually did buy a Yamaha silent guitar. The tissue mute (I should patent this idea!) sounds better and is easier to adjust and use than anything I've tried so far.

Just sayin . . .

rudolfochristBones
  • BonesBones Moderator

Gives the term "blowing" a whole new meaning....

Buco
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator

Here’s another idea some people might like.... guitar aromatherapy...

...the other day my wife was wearing a perfume I had never smelled before, and I immediately loved it...

...so I borrowed it and sprayed some inside my guitar...

...and I enjoy it whenever I practise...

BucoBillDaCostaWilliams
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."